Marketing & Business Information Systems
Major in Management Information Systems
Management Information Systems has been an identified program of study at Rowan University (formerly Glassboro State College) almost since the inception of the business college (initially Administrative Studies) in 1971. The Rohrer College of Business has offered a Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems since fall of 2007. In February, 2009, the MIS programs and faculty were moved to the Marketing Department and the department was renamed, Marketing and Business Information Systems.
Our MIS students are extraordinarily well-prepared for work in information systems. MIS students are expected to have three areas of distinct competency: business knowledge, technical skills and interpersonal skills.
The MIS program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org. There are few programs that have accreditation from both accrediting bodies.
Program Structure: Management Information Systems Program Requirements
I. General Education (53 s.h.)
- Communications (6-7 s.h.)
- Math & Science (14 s.h.)
- Social and Behavioral Science (9 s.h.)
- History/Humanities/Language (6 s.h.)
- Additional course work from departments outside of the Rohrer College of Business summing to a total of 53 semester hours of General Education.
- Students must fulfill additional Rowan Experience requirements for courses identified as Writing Intensive (WI), Laboratory Science (LAB), Multi-Cultural/Global (MC/G), Literature (LIT), Rowan Seminar (RS), Public Speaking (PS), and Artistic and Creative Experience (ACE). These courses typically fall under general education or non-program electives.
II. Free Electives (7 s.h.)
III. Major Requirements (60 s.h.)
Business Core Requirements (27 s.h.)
- MKT09.200 Principles of Marketing (3 s.h.)
- ACC 03.210 Principles of Accounting I (3 s.h.)
- ACC 03.211 Principles of Accounting II (3 s.h.)
- MGT06.242 Legal Environment of Business (3 s.h.)
- MGT 06.300 Organizational Behavior (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.334 Management Information Systems (3 s.h.)
- FIN 04.300 Principles of Finance (3 s.h.)
- MGT 06.305 Operations Management (3 s.h.)
- MGT 06.402 Business Policy(3 s.h.)
Required Courses in MIS (33 s.h.)
- MIS 02.330 Business Systems (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.338 Design of Database Systems (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.336 Advanced Database Management (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.332 Principles of Systems Design (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.428 Business Web Applications (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.333 I.S. Dimension of E-Business (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.325 Project Management (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.327 Network Management (3 s.h.)
- MIS 02.450 MIS Capstone Experience (3 s.h.)
- MGT 06.330Managing International Business (3 s.h.)
- Restricted Elective (3 s.h.)