College of Communication & Creative Arts - Art
About the Department of Art
Department of Art Mission Statement (Adopted 2009)
Through rigorous degree programs in studio arts and art education, the Department of Art nurtures creative expression within a liberal arts and professional context, fostering the important humanistic role played by the visual arts in today’s society. The Department of Art also prepares majors for creative problem solving with a technological foundation that is relevant for the twenty-first century. Moreover, courses in art history, art appreciation and non-major studios provide visual art experiences that stimulate and enhance the aesthetic, creative, and cultural literacy of the entire college community.
• • •
The Department of Art at Rowan University offers a continuing tradition of inspiring education in the fine arts, design, art education and art history. The department offers both majors and elective students the opportunities to experience the visual arts as an important facet of a broader university education.
On this site, you can find current student and program activities and opportunities, advising and degree information, and ways to contact faculty and staff, as well as a look at what’s going on right now. Welcome to the Department of Art!
- View student work at WestbyArts.com (Update Coming Soon!)
- Rowan University Art Gallery
12 Reasons to Be Part of Our Department
- Study a diverse range: graphic design, biomedical art, printmaking, jewelry/metals, ceramics, sculpture, digital imagery, photography, illustration, drawing & painting, art history, and art education.
- A great price point. The reasonable cost at Rowan makes it easier to explore a range of experiences after graduation without worrying about huge debt. Rowan was recently noted as Number 2 in the nation for providing an economically advantageous education!
- Great facilities; Westby (Rowan’s art building) has big spaces and a wide range of equipment, so you can experience processes from current digital and laser technologies to traditions that are thousands of years old.
- Our graduates succeed. Many of New Jersey’s top art educators come from Rowan. Our students are accepted into competitive graduate programs. They are commissioned by nationally known companies; they have positions with major design firms; they manage their own thriving businesses and studios. Career options for our graduates include art therapy and arts administration in museums, foundries, workshops nationwide.
- A commitment to undergraduate education. Faculty are at Rowan because we love teaching. We are accessible and approachable—our grads keep in touch with us and come back to visit often.
- Small class sizes (most studios are capped at 15 students) give you get lots of personal attention and support in developing as an artist, designer, educator. You can’t get lost in the crowd.
- Flexible scheduling. Although there is a preferred strategy for sequencing courses, there is room for maneuvering (which is especially important for transfer students.)
- We encourage exploration. While you develop deep expertise in your chosen area, we also want you to have broad experience. Some schools that lock you into a specific program, but we WANT you to use skills and ideas from throughout the department and mix ‘em up.
- Our faculty are actively engaged professionals. We are working as artists, designers, and historians so we share up-to-date information with you as part of your education.
- Great scholarships, some at the incoming freshman level; others at advanced levels. This includes the prestigious Seward Johnson scholarship which sends one student—all expenses paid—for a semester of study at SACI in Florence, Italy every year! Our scholarship benefactors loyally support our department and our outstanding students.
- Direct experience in planning, installing and documenting art exhibitions and design portfolio nights.We have several gallery spaces on campus, some exclusively for student exhibitions, as well as the Rowan University Gallery which exhibits national and internationally known artists and designers.
- An active program of visiting artists, designers and an artist-in-residence. You can develop relationships and learn from these pros even while you stay on campus. Plus, our geographic location means we regularly visit Philadelphia, New York, and D.C. museums and galleries, or talk with professionals while touring their studios and workshops.
To assist potential students in their decision-making process, we offer this link to provide more information on finding the art program that is right for you:
Studying visual art at Rowan can lead to success and happiness by providing important 21st century skills:
- What’s the Economic Value of an Arts Education?
- National rankings show the value of a degree from Rowan University