College of Communication & Creative Arts - Art
About the Department of Art
The Department of Art at Rowan University offers a continuing tradition of inspiring education in the fine arts, design, art education and art history. The department offers both majors and elective students the opportunities to experience the visual arts as an important facet of a broader university education.
On this site, you can find current student and program activities and opportunities, advising and degree information, and ways to contact faculty and staff, as well as a look at what’s going on right now. Welcome to the Department of Art!
12 Reasons to Be Part of Our Department
- You can study a diverse range: graphic design, printmaking, jewelry/metals, ceramics, sculpture, digital imagery, photography, illustration, drawing & painting, art history, and art education. And a new program in biomedical art!
- We have great facilities; Westby (Rowan’s art building) has big spaces and a wide range of equipment, so you can experience processes from current digital and laser technologies to traditions that are thousands of years old.
- Our faculty are engaged in their professional areas; we are actively working as artists, designers and historians so we share up-to-date information with you as part of your education.
- Our faculty are committed to undergraduate education. We teach at Rowan because we love teaching; we are accessible and approachable—our grads keep in touch with us and come back to visit often.
- Our small class sizes (most studios are capped at 15 students) mean that you get lots of personal attention and support in developing as an artist, designer, educator. You can’t get lost in the crowd.
- We are flexible in scheduling. Although there is a preferred strategy for sequencing courses, there is room for maneuvering (which is especially important for transfer students.)
- We encourage exploration. Even though you will develop deep expertise in your chosen area, we want you to have broad experience throughout the department. And unlike some schools that lock you into a specific program, we WANT you to bring skills and ideas from throughout the department and mix ‘em up.
- We have several gallery spaces on campus, some for student exhibitions and the Rowan University Gallery which exhibits national and internationally known artists and designers. Plus, our geographic location means we regularly travel to Philadelphia, New York, and D.C. to visit museums and galleries, and to talk with professionals while touring their studios and workshops.
- We have an active program of visiting artists, designers and an artist-in-residence so that you can develop relationships and learn from these pros even while you stay on campus.
- We have several great scholarships, some at the incoming freshman level, others at advanced levels, including a scholarship that sends one student—all expenses paid—for a semester of study at SACI in Florence, Italy!
- We have a great price point. At Rowan, you get a good education at a very reasonable cost, making it easier to explore a range of experiences after graduation without worrying about repaying such a tremendous debt.
- Our graduates succeed. Many of New Jersey’s top art educators come from Rowan. Our students are accepted into competitive graduate programs. They are commissioned by nationally known companies; they have positions with major design firms; they successfully manage their own thriving businesses and studios. Our grads find many career options including art therapy and arts administration in museums, foundries, workshops nationwide.
To assist potential students in their decision-making process, we offer this link to provide more information on finding the art program that is right for you:
Studying art can make you happy and successful, providing important 21st century skills: