The Asian Studies program is designed to achieve the following goals:
- To develop a focus on Asian Studies which is interdisciplinary in approach and cross-cultural in perspective;
- To evaluate the cultural and economic links between Asia and the United States;
- To provide students with an in-depth analysis of the history and culture of Asia through multi-disciplinary course offerings ranging from anthropology, art, communication, education, geography, history, literature, music, political science, and sociology, to international business, finance, and marketing;
- To provide students with the opportunity to enhance their skills in cross-cultural communication;
- To strengthen academic links with other campuses and conduct scholarly exchanges;
- To sponsor and organize various kinds of extracurricular activities that promote the study of Asia and Asian Americans during Asian-Pacific Heritage Month and on other occasions;
- To supplement diversity in undergraduate education.