‘American Promise’: Film screening, discussion to focus on issues of race, class and privilege in education | More
As GOP leaders jump ship on Trump, Clinton looks to stay the course in presidential race | More
Rowan alumni Jean and Ric Edelman commit $25 million for University’s Fossil Park | More
Bullock School in Glassboro becomes Rowan’s seventh Professional Development School | More
Rowan history professors to provide global perspective on presidential election | More
- Coppola VJ, Hough GE, and Bingman VP. 2014. Age-related spatial working memory deficits in homing pigeons (Columba livia). Behavioral Neuroscience: Aug 11: Epub ahead of print.
- Holbrook LT and LaPergola J. 2011. A new genus of perissodactyl (Mammalia) from the Bridgerian of Wyoming, with comments on basal perissodactyl phylogeny. Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology 31: 895-901.
National Awards & Fellowships
- American Society for Microbiology General Meeting Student Travel Award (2012)
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, Honorable Mention (2012)
- Society for Integrative & Comparative Biology, Broadening Participation Travel Award (2012)
National & Regional Presentations
- 2014 Animal Behavior Society Annual Meeting, Princeton NJ. Topic: Old birds lose it: the impact of aging and deterioration of working memory on homing pigeon spatial cognition.
- 2013 Animal Behavior Society Annual Meeting, Boulder CO. Topic: Song dialects in the south New Jersey Atlantic Seaside Sparrow.
- 2012 Society for Intergrative & Comparative Biology Annual Meeting, Charleston SC. Topic: Investigation of the role of Aubergine RNA-binding proteins in the reproductive plasticity of the pea aphic, Acyrthosiphon pisum.
- 2011 American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, New Orleans LA - Topic:
Evidence of increased ethanol resistance in mutant ethanologenic Escherichia coli resulting form changes in membrane permeability.
- 2011 American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, New Orleans LA - Topic: Novel application of the MicrotoxM500 Analyzer to compare the effect of a known defined membrane active toxin on a panel of Escherichia coli mutants.
- 2011 Society for Developmental Biology, Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting, Philadelphia, PA - Topic: Investigation of the role of Aubergine RNA-binding proteins in the reproductive plasticity of the pea aphic, Acyrthosiphon pisum.
- 2010 American Society for Cell Biology Annual Meeting, Philadelphia PA. Topic: Ric-8 proteins are required for efficient G protein expression but not at the transcriptional level, and profoundly affect tissue differentiation in a culture model of embryonic development.
- 2010 Eastern Psychological Association, New York NY. Topic: The inability to use a time-dependent light cue as a directional reference to plan small-scale food-directed movements in homing pigeons (Columba livia).
- 2010 Mid-Atlantic Developmental Biology Annual Meeting, Baltimore MD. Topic: Ureagenesis in developing zebrafish.
- 2008 American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, Boston MA - Topic:
The fixK gene of Caulobacter crescentus is not required for lead precipitation.
- 2007 American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, Toronto ON - Topic:
Improved bioethanol productivity using E. coli FBR5 derivatives with dual resistance to furfural and ethanol. 2007 American Society for Microbiology General Meeting, Toronto ON - Topic: Genetic evidence that disruption of S-layer integrity facilitates lead phosphate precipitation
- 2005 International Botanical Conference, Vienna, Austria - Topic: “Green algae from Cryptogamic Crusts, San Fe, New Mexico"
- 2005 Field trip to Bangladesh - Topic: Arsenic removal from groundwater using algae
- 2005 XIII International Congress of Virology, San Francisco, CA - Topic: Identification of non-conserved residues of adenovirus DNA polymerase contributing to entry into the late phase of the adenoviral infectious cycle.
Research Experiences for Undergraduate (REU) Programs & Other Summer Research Internships
- Case Western University (Summer Medical & Dental Education Program)
- CMSRU-PULSE Program
- DANTA Costa Rica (Summer Field Course)
- Georgia Tech (REU, Chemistry & Biochemistry)
- Hubburd Brook Research Foundation New Hampshire (REU, Conservation/Field Biology)
- International Center for Diffraction Data (Internship)
- Interantional Study Abroad (Medical Spanish & Alternative Medicine)
- Johns Hopkins University (REU, Nanotechnology for Biology & Bioengineering)
- Medical University of South Carolina (Summer Undergraduate Internship)
- Philadelphia Zoo (Internship)
- Purdue University (Summer Research Internship)
- UMDNJ-Newark (Gateway to Dentistry Program)
- UMDNJ-Newark (Summer Medical & Dental Education Program)
- University of Georgia (REU, Bacteriology)
- Bimbo Bakery (R&D Dept; Greenwich CT)
- Louisiana State University
- University of Rochester
- University of Virginia (Blandy Experimental Farm)
- Virginia Tech
- Wetlands Institute (Coastal Conservation Research Program; Cape May NJ)
- 2009: Rutgers University
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center
- University of Pittsburgh
- University of Wisconsin Osh-Kosh
- West Texas A&M
Enrollment into Post-Graduate Programs
(Year given is student's undergraduate graduation year)
- Bowling Green State University (Neuroscience, PhD)
- Stony Brook University (Molecular & Cellular Biology, PhD)
- University of Wisconsin (Microbiology, PhD)
- Texas A&M University (Neuroscience, PhD)
- Thomas Jefferson University (Cell & Development, MS)
- UMDNJ (Biomedical Science, MS)
- University of Pennsylvania (Cell Biology, PhD)
- Cornell University (Food Science/Enology, MS)
- Iowa State University (Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, PhD)
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick (Microbiology & Molecular Biology, MS)
- Thomas Jefferson University (Genetics, PhD; Bioscience Technologies, MS)
- University of Colorado-Denver (Cell Biology, PhD)
- College of Notre Dame Maryland (PharmD)
- Cornell University (Neurobiology & Behavior, PhD)
- Ohio State (Anthropology, PhD)
- Penn State (Biochemistry, Microbiology, & Molecular Biology; PhD)
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick (PhD)
- Thomas Jefferson University (Biomedical Sciences, MS)
- UMDNJ (Biomedical Science, MS)
- University of Alabama (Health Sciences, PhD)
- University of Kent (Medieval Studies, MA)
- University of Pittsburgh (PhD)
- University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh
- Johns Hopkins University (Science & Biotechnology, MS)
- Seton Hall University (Microbiology, MS, PhD)
- UMDNJ-Stratford (Cell & Molecular Biology, PhD)
- Iowa State University (Entomology, PhD)
- Rutgers University-New Brunswick (Environmental Science, MS)
- Thomas Jefferson University (Cell & Development, PhD)
- UMDNJ-Newark (Microbiology & Molecular Genetics, PhD)
- Memorial University (Microbial Ecology)
- Towson State University (Biology, MS)
- University of Delaware (Marine Science, MS)
- University of North Carolina-Wilmington (MS)
- Villanova University (Biology, MS)
- Duke University (MS)
- Ohio State University (Anthropology, PhD)
- UMDNJ-Stratford (Biomedical Science, MS)
Awards & Recognition from Rowan University (external to the Biological Sciences Department)
- Spring 2012: Excellence in Undergraduate Research, Honorable Mention
- Fall 2011: Rowan University Honors Program Research Fellowship