Rowan students get set to style their 'staches and grow their goatees | More
WGLS-FM Drug Abuse Doc Wins a Gracie Award | More
Neil Gaiman to address Rowan community March 7 | More
Rowan hosts annual Career Fair | More
$3M from RWJ Foundation funds health care innovation research | More
Departmental Mission and Goals
Our goal is to prepare students to be contributing members of the scientific community and society at large.
We believe this is essential to each student’s success in his/her professional career. We believe in rigorous, employment-base learning. It is also important to the students’ potential employers and graduate faculty and to society in general as well as to Rowan University and the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry.
We will strive to accomplish this goal using a wide variety of techniques that include modern, strong coursework, using state-of-the-art instrumentation, hands-on activities, teamwork, and the requirement of research and seminar capstone experiences. In addition, our students will participate fully in the general education plan at Rowan.
Chemistry and Biochemistry graduates will be able to:
- Demonstrate contemporary skills and knowledge for entry-level positions in the field, or for admission to graduate or professional school.
- Ask questions, design experiments, analyze data, and interpret results
- Obtain and use data from the chemical literature
- Effectively communicate orally and in writing
- Work effectively as a member of a team
- Make accurate and precise measurements and observations using scientific instrumentation.
- Work safely and with a safety-conscious attitude
- Exhibit ethical scientific conduct
- Behave and think in patterns leading to innovation
- Demonstrate scientific curiosity
- Demonstrate leadership
- Become a lifelong learner