Requirements for the Urban Teachers Residency
(No more applications are being accepted for this program)
1) BA/BS Degree from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (2.5 GPA for candidates who earned degree in 2004 or prior)
- K-5 (Elementary Education) requires 60 credits in the liberal arts or sciences.
- K-12 (Secondary Education) requires 30 credits in the subject area to be taught 12 credits must be a level 300 or 400 level.
2) Passing Praxis II in specific content area
For the appropriate Praxis for your area of certification, click here : www.ets.org/praxis/nj/requirements
4) Essay or Cover Letter (250-500 words) outlining reasons for applying unique interest in urban teaching and personal philosophy of education
5) 24 Hour Pre-Service Program Certificate of Completion or proof of registration for a fall class
6) Official transcripts from all institutions of higher education attended
7) Strong interest in urban education; must be willing to teach in a high-need school for 3 years after completing the program
Note: Upon acceptance in the program, you will be required to have a background check and fingerprinting to meet the School District's requirements.