College of Education - Department of Health and Exercise Science
The Department of Health and Exercise Science provides a rigorous and enlightening intellectual environment for the professional development, achievement and distinction of leaders in Education, Athletic Training and Health Promotion and Fitness Management. Consistent with the University and College of Education’s Mission Statements, the Department offers a liberal education as a core in concert with a challenging sequence of discipline specific courses to a diverse community of learners. Through our course offerings, the department will continue to foster the development of a new campus culture civic responsibility, multicultural understanding and technological advancement. The Department of Health and Exercise Science faculty are considered the pivotal element in realizing the departmental mission and goals. We strongly believe all faculty should be encouraged and assisted in the development of their professional careers. This professional development should mirror the promotion standards described below as well as the University Agreement, and in so doing will allow our department as well as individual faculty to become members of Rowan University distinguished community of scholars.
To immerse students in experiences that forge knowledge, create discipline and foster responsibility as reflected in the goals described below.
- To prepare Health and Physical Education teachers to enter the profession and become leaders in the field as well as effective and respected educators.
- To develop outstanding health promotion and fitness managers who upon entering the field will provide leadership in corporate, hospital and community health settings.
- To educate and place athletic trainers in positions that will utilize their superior skills in the prevention and treatment of athletic injuries.
- To develop a community of learners within the department that value a rigorous education and ultimately graduate with pride and respect for the department and Rowan University.
- To foster a climate of research and scholarship within the department that encourages and recruits student input and involvement.
- To develop an atmosphere in which faculty and students seek out means for both community and campus wide involvement and service.
- To structure the concept and implement developmental advisement in which each faculty member initiates a system of meetings and associations with Rowan University students each year.
- To encourage all departmental faculty to develop, implement and evaluate their own Professional Development Plan which must be approved by the Dean of the College of Education