College of Education - Endorsement Program: Teacher of Students with Disabilities
Alternate Route / Certificate of Eligibility
State regulations require that all candidates for the alternate route to endorsement as Teacher of Students with Disabilities must be "officially enrolled" (i.e., matriculated) in a state-approved program.
- Meeting with respective Program Advisor and/or Program Coordinator
- Initial completion of Program Advisement Form, with indication as to whether the courses / program will be taken at the Post Baccalaureate or Graduate Level
- Once admitted to either the Post-Baccalaureate or Graduate Endorsement Program, the candidate can apply for a CE (Certification of Eligibility). This permits the candidate to apply for a position as a special education teacher.
- When offered a position, the employer notifies the State. The State then issues a Provisional Instructional Certificate with the Teacher of Students with Disabilities Endorsement AND places the candidate in a Provisional Teacher Program (unless the candidate already holds either a CEAS (Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing), a Provisional Instructional Certificate in an Initial Endorsement Area (i.e., Preschool/Early Childhood, Elementary, Subject Matter Education, Health/Physical Education) or a Standard Instructional Certificate in a an Initial Endorsement Area (i.e., Preschool/Early Childhood, Elementary, Subject Matter Education, Health/Physical Education).
- The candidate must then complete both the State requirements for Alternate Route/Certificate of Eligibility in their chosen area for initial endorsement AND the program requirements for endorsement as Teacher of Students with Disabilities (in either the Post-Baccalaureate or Graduate Endorsement Program).
- Upon completion of all endorsement requirements and completion of one year of successful teaching, the candidate will be eligible for a Standard Instructional Certificate.
- For more specific information, please go to New Jersey's Department of Education (Licensure and Credentials) webpage:www.nj.gov/education/educators/license/