College of Education - Certificate of Graduate Study (COGS) in English as a Second Language (ESL)
Certificate of Graduate Study (COGS) in English as a Second Language (ESL)
The Certificate of Graduate Studies (COGS) English as a Second Language (ESL) Education is a non-degree graduate program leading to a New Jersey K-12 certification in English as a Second Language. This program is offered at Rowan University’s Camden campus.
Yvonne Rodriguez, Ed.D.
Please review this page carefully as it has links to necessary information about the program and the admissions process.
- For further questions about the academic program, contact Dr. Rodriguez at email@example.com
- For further questions about the admissions process, contact 856-256-5145 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There is a critical need for highly qualified teachers who are trained to work with the growing numbers of English learners in K-12, college, and adult settings, both in the US and abroad. This program is approved by the New Jersey State Department of Education and is recognized by the Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages/National Council on Accreditation of Teacher Education (TESOL/NCATE).
Specific program objectives are to enable teachers to:
- Use multifaceted understandings of the unique needs, challenges, and experiences of ELL students to advocate for their academic, social, and emotional success;
- Plan for instruction, create curriculum, and develop assessments that use research-based practices and that integrate language and content for ELL students at various levels of English proficiency; and
- Support ELL students’ acquisition of social and academic language and impact their learning.
In order to receive ESL certification in New Jersey, the state requires that all prospective teachers take the OPI and WPT test from Language Testing International (LTI) in order to show proficiency in written and spoken English. Students can sign up by going to the LTI website: http://www.languagetesting.com/ You will need to register on the LTI site as a “test candidate”. This will give you access to the site and ability to register for the test at a location closest to you.
If you would like more information about this program, please visit Global Learning and Partnerships of Rowan University.
For Financial Aid Information click Here.