College of Education - M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership
M.Ed. in Teacher Leadership
Maria Sudeck, Ph.D.
(856) 256-4500 x3805
Academic Advisor for the Online Program
The Master of Education degree program has three goals:
- To develop teacher leaders who practice teaching skills aligned with the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)'s Five Core Propositions
- To develop teacher expertise in a content area of choice
- To empower teachers to assume leadership roles within their schools and districts
The M.Ed. program is designed for teachers who desire to develop and hone their leadership skills and who wish to remain in the classroom. The program approaches leadership from the perspectives of exemplary teaching, continuous learning for all, a need to balance change with stability and the importance of peaceful existence in a diverse community of learners. To that end, teachers will enhance their abilities to lead not only in their classrooms, but also in the school at large by working with curriculum, becoming mentor/master teachers, developing new programs, and through a variety of other activities that improve schooling for all children.
The following five core propositions of the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) and three additional principles identified by College of Education faculty provide the focus for the master’s program in Standards-Based Practice:
- teachers are committed to students and their learning;
- teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students;
- teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning;
- teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from their experience;
- teachers are members of learning communities;
Rowan Program Principles
- teachers account for the needs of culturally, linguistically, and cognitively diverse learners;
- teachers are change agents, teacher leaders, and partners with colleagues; and
- teachers use technology to facilitate student learning and their own professional development.
This program is offered online through the Global Learning and Partnerships of Rowan University. Please click HERE for more information.
For Financial Aid Information click here.