The College of Engineering - Civil & Environmental Engineering
Welcome to the home page of Civil and Environmental Engineering at Rowan University! Our students learn how to solve human problems. We have top-notch faculty, up-to-date facilities, and an excellent curriculum. We invite you to explore and learn more about us. We offer an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering with structures or environmental emphasis. We also offer masters degrees with specialization in civil or environmental engineering. Explore our program here! Here's our latest newsletter (Fall 12). To see past newsletters, scroll to the bottom of the page.
What is Civil and Environmental Engineering?
Civil Engineering is one of the oldest engineering disciplines. For hundreds of years, Civil Engineers have designed and supervised the construction of roads, canals, railroads, buildings, and developments. As population increase created water supply and sanitary problems, Civil Engineers took on the tasks of supplying water and treating wastewater. In the twentieth century humankind discovered that improper waste disposal was threatening our quality of life. Civil Engineers took on the task of cleaning up contaminated sites. Now, sustainability is an important concern. Once again, Civil Engineers are adding to their portfolio of skills, e.g., designing energy efficient buildings, and wind and solar farms.
Modern Civil & Environmental Engineering can be divided into 5 areas:
- Structural - Buildings, bridges, dams and other structures.
- Environmental - Minimizing negative environmental impacts.
- Geotechnical - Soil properties, foundations, footings and soil dynamics.
- Water Resources - Supply and flow of water in the natural and built environment
- Transportation - Safe, economical and environmentally friendly transportation systems.
Here's a nice YouTube video on Civil Engineering from the Institute of Civil Engineering. The Video is UK-centric but give a good description of Civil Engineering word-wide.
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering (CEE) strives to give civil engineering students the ability to understand and apply the core science, mathematics, and engineering principles that form the basis of civil engineering. Students work individually and in multidisciplinary teams to identify and solve engineering problems using their accumulated knowledge and experience along with advanced technology such as computers and laboratory equipment. We enforce the importance of ethics and professionalism, and the importance of global and societal issues in engineering practice. CEE strives to give students the ability to communicate effectively in preparation for both engineering practice and for graduate studies. We prepare students for professional careers and graduate school by providing a broad based civil engineering education. Students are exposed to a range of hands-on, standards-based, civil engineering laboratory experiences. Finally, we aim to give civil engineering students both individual and team-based design experiences taught by a diverse civil engineering faculty with professional engineering licenses and/or with appropriate education and design experience.
The Program Educational Objectives are:
- Graduates have a broad base of knowledge, are aware of emerging trends in their field, and understand the interrelationships between sub-disciplines that affect engineering projects.
- Graduates are creative problem-solvers who consider technical, social, political, environmental and economic issues in developing realistic engineering solutions based on effective data collection and analysis.
- Graduates conduct their professional lives in a manner that reflects positively on themselves, their employer and their alma mater and recognize the ethical, global, and social responsibility of their profession.
- Graduates have the technical, communication and interpersonal skills to assume increasing responsibility and leadership roles within a diverse and multidisciplinary workplace.
The Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering at Rowan University is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
More good news for Civil and Environmental Engineers: