Skip Navigation

B.A. in Health and Exercise Science: Health Promotion and Wellness Management

Commonly Asked Questions

Where can I find information on graduate school options?

Drs. Pagell and Spencer maintain a file of graduate school catalogs in a variety of health related fields that students are welcome to use. In addition, they would be happy to discuss your choices with you and help you make your decision. Students are also encouraged to use the Internet to find and review different schools and their programs.

Where can I find information on jobs after graduation?

Students are encouraged to maintain contact with Drs. Pagell and Spencer, who regularly receive job announcements for recent graduates. Attending professional conferences are also excellent ways of finding jobs and meeting potential employers.

Can I take courses at other colleges to satisfy the requirements?

Students may transfer in General Education courses as long as they meet the requirements established by the Health and Exercise Science Department. Students are required to complete the courses within the HPFM specialization at Rowan.

What are my options for field experience?

Students are encouraged to carefully select a site based on their interests, needs and future goals.  Since there are a tremendous number of options available, the student should carefully consider what he/she wants to gain from the experience prior to choosing a site.  Students may choose a local or “distance” site in another state or country.  Corporate, clinical, rehabilitation, hospital and community sites are all acceptable if they meet basic guidelines described in the next section.  Check with Dr. Pagell, the field experience coordinator, for a list and/or file of approved sites.  New sites may be approved after being reviewed by Dr. Pagell.

What is required for a site to be approved?

A.  The Site Supervisor must hold a bachelor’s degree in a health-related field and carry appropriate professional credentials.

B.  The site must be an established, professional organization and provide a variety of relevant experiences for the student.

C.  The site Supervisor must agree to mentor the student on a daily basis, provide an opportunity for the student to design a major project and complete two formal evaluations with the student.

D.  The site administrators must agree to comply with the specifications of the contract supplied by Rowan University, unless a special contract is provided and approved by Rowan.

When should I begin planning for my field experience?

It is recommended that the student begin exploring potential sites and attend a field placement informational meeting one year prior to the anticipated start date.

What am I required to do BEFORE the field experience starts?

The student should begin by attending an information meeting and receive the Field Placement Handbook to learn the specific requirements.  All field experience students must carry professional liability insurance during the semester they complete this course.  A student CANNOT begin accruing hours until Dr. Pagell, field experience coordinator, has received the contract and verification of insurance.

The student should meet with Dr. Pagell to discuss her/his plans and interests and make sure the site is approved.  See the Field Placement Handbook for due dates of the contract, insurance verification and other required forms.

What am I required to do DURING the field experience?

It is the STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY to maintain communication with Dr. Pagell throughout the field experience.  This includes weekly logs, reports, evaluations, site visits and the final portfolio, which must be completed and turned in ON TIME.