General Emergency Procedures
In the event of an emergency such as fire, explosion, hazardous materials/waste spill or leak, or personal injury accident, call 911 and do the following:
- Tell the operator your name and the telephone number from which you are calling.
- Describe the location of the emergency.
- Describe the situation (i.e. smell of smoke, fire, chemicals).
- If possible, describe what is burning (i.e. wastebasket, fume hood) or what has spilled (i.e. acid, solvents).
- Hang up the phone only after the emergency operator has done so, if you are not in great personal danger.
- Tell the operator where you are going and/or how you can be reached.
If the emergency cannot be immediately contained:
- Initiate a fire alarm by activating the nearest Fire Alarm Box to start a building evacuation.
- Close the door of the room(s) involved on your way out of the room.
- If possible, shut off all utilities into the room, but don’t waste time attempting to do so.