We've outgrown the University Green:
A new Commencement tradition begins
Until just a few days ago, the Rowan University community expected to celebrate the 89th Commencement with both Graduate and Undergraduate ceremonies on the University Green at Bunce Hall. As in years past, our May ceremonies include students who completed their degrees in August and December, as well as those graduating in May and those with a few credits to finish in the summer or student teaching to complete in the fall.
Unfortunately, we can fit only 10,000 chairs (2,000 students and 8,000 guests) on the University Green. Last year, we were beyond capacity, with standing room only for nearly 1,000 guests. This year, we planned to accommodate more by adding bleachers to the Green, but the number of students participating is expected to grow to nearly 2,500 -- adding many more guests, too.
Fortunately, Wackar Stadium can accommodate 13,000 students and guests.
As most of the Rowan community knows, preparing for Commencement is an enormous task involving hundreds of employees and volunteers throughout many weeks, as well as on the event days in May. The logistics and labor involved are more complicated than ever, so we appreciate you helping students understand the following changes:
- Graduate Commencement will be held at 10 a.m. on Thursday, May 15, at Wackar Stadium.
- Undergraduate Commencement will be held at 10 a.m. on Friday, May 16, at Wackar Stadium.
- Guest tickets are required for the Undergraduate Commencement main and secondary ceremonies. Guest tickets are not required for the Graduate Commencement main ceremony, but are required for the Graduate Commencement secondary ceremonies.
- Graduate and undergraduate students must reserve guest tickets by visiting rowancommencement.universitytickets.com by May 8, 2014.
- Extra tickets for the main and/or secondary ceremonies will be available (first come, first served) through the online ticket pool on Friday, May 9, at 8:30 a.m.
We apologize for the late change in location, but, as always, we are committed to welcoming as many of the Rowan University family as possible to celebrate our students' achievements. We deeply appreciate employees' and volunteers' great commitment to making Commencement successful in its new form and venue.
Visit rowan.edu/commencement often for updates and answers to frequently asked questions. Additional questions may be sent to email@example.com.