Rowan students get set to style their 'staches and grow their goatees | more
The lowdown on 'Downton': Rowan historian to host Sunday night discussions on PBS' 'Downton Abbey' | more
Student initiative to assist typhoon victims gets big support from Susquehanna Bank | more
Cool as ice: Rowan's Dougherty heads to Europe as member of national select hockey team | more
With TV benefit, Rowan Television Network looks to make a difference in the typhoon-ravaged Philippines | more
Graduate Requirements & Procedures
Graduation vs. Commencement
Graduation is the successful completion of all major/minor/concentration requirements AND the awarding of a degree. Students can graduate three times a year --
May, August, and December. Students must complete the online Graduation
Application (info here) in order to be reviewed.
Commencement is the voluntary
celebration that occurs once a year (in May). Participation in the
Commencement ceremony is not required and does not guarantee the
awarding of a degree.
students may not participate in the Commencement Ceremony unless they
have successfully defended their dissertation.
Diplomas are not received during the Commencement
ceremony. The Office of the Registrar mails diplomas to the permanent
address on file, unless otherwise indicated on the graduation
application. A diploma and one official Rowan University transcript are
mailed approximately eight weeks after the degrees have been awarded.
Graduation deadlines can be found on the Registrar's website, here.
The Commencement participation deadline is April 15, 2014. This is the last day to confirm your participation and reserve your guest tickets. To confirm your participation follow these steps:
- Visit Student Self-Service at www.rowan.edu/selfservice
- Access Banner Services and enter your Banner ID and PIN
- Select “Student and Financial Aid” and click on
- Follow the prompts to confirm your
All financial obligations, loans, library books, equipment owed, fines, bills, etc. must be cleared by April 30, 2014. Diplomas, transcripts and teacher certifications will be provided once all obligations are met.
Caps and gowns
It is now time to order your attire for the Commencement and Convocation ceremonies. It is your responsibility to order your academic attire for the ceremony, so make sure you complete this step. The deadline is April 9, 2014.
Here is how:
- Go to www.jostens.com
- Select “Find my school’s store” from the menu at the top.
- Input “Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ”
- On the next screen select “Graduation Caps and Gowns”
- Select “Student School of Osteopathic Medicine”
- That brings you to the SOM package which includes the cap with tassel, gown, and hood. Purchase it as you would anything else you have ordered online. You can use a credit card and the package will be shipped directly to you.
- Once you receive it, you’ll want to open the package to see that all the components are there (and to get the wrinkles out).
- If you have any issues with the shipment you would contact Jostens customer service directly at 1-800-854-7464.
Rowan GSBS will receive information later this spring about ordering regalia online.
The below information is for all other Rowan graduate degree candidates:
Caps and gowns will be available
for purchase in the Rowan Barnes & Noble Bookstore beginning Monday, March 31 through
Wednesday, May 14. Unless otherwise noted, all caps and gowns are
keepsakes and do not need to be returned after Commencement.
Please Note: April 5th is the last day for Doctoral candidates to order custom regalia, as it takes several weeks for delivery. The cost is $950.00. Please contact Valerie Wojcik to set up an appointment to be measured.
Keepsake styles and pricing is as follows:
||Cap, Gown, Silver Tassel and Hood
||Cap, Gown, Blue Tassel and Hood
||Cap, Gown, Gold Tassel and Hood
Questions about Bookstore Commencement Services and Products