Accounting Mentorship Program
The goal of the Accounting Mentorship Program is to provide a mechanism by which students can obtain a better understanding of the challenges and rewards of Accounting from those presently working as accounting professionals. This enhanced understanding should help solidify the choice of profession for those students who are interested or potentially interested in Accounting. It provides students with a perspective that cannot be provided by faculty.
Additional objectives of the Program are to:
- Increase the interest in Accounting as a profession by helping students to see it as a potentially creative, rewarding and people-oriented career;
- Provide a mechanism that aligns the professional accounting community to the Rohrer College of Business Accounting program and students;
- Provide a link to the Rohrer College of Business alumni who are working in the Accounting profession, and provide a means for them to contribute to the Rowan Accounting Program.;
- Help current Accounting students begin to build a professional network of associates, which may enhance their opportunities for later internships and full-time employment;
- Provide insights into one of the business professions for students who have chosen business as an area of study, but who are not sure of their choice of discipline within business.
Who can participate?
STUDENTS: Any Rowan Business student (graduate or undergraduate) is eligible to participate. Students who are declared Accounting majors, or who are considering Accounting as a possible major, are especially encouraged to enroll.
MENTORS: Anyone working as a professional accountant who would like to share his/her experiences and perspective with current accounting students is encouraged to apply to participate in the Accounting Mentorship Program. Upon approval by the accounting mentorship selection committee, the accounting professional will be invited to participate in the Program.
How does it work?
Students and mentors communicate with one another via email, telephone, or in-person meetings, depending on the preferences and availability of the participants. The degree of contact between students and mentors is flexible and up to them.
How do I sign up to participate?
STUDENTS: To participate in the program you must register for the Accounting Mentorship course (ACC 03200) in Rowan Self-Service (Banner) before the end of the Drop/Add period of the semester in which you want to participate. It is a zero credit course, with no class meetings or grades -- Rowan Self-Service (Banner) is being used for program enrollment and registration. Just register as you would for any other course before the end of Drop/Add. After you register for the course, you complete the enrollment process by filling out and submitting the Student Registration Form.
MENTORS: To apply to participate in the program, please fill out and submit the Mentor Registration Form.
How can I get more information about Rowan's Accounting Mentorship Program?
Contact the program coordinator, Dr. Stephanie Weidman, by email at email@example.com or by phone at (856) 256-4225.