Academic Potential and Growth
The Rowan Select program is designed to provide structured support as you enter Rowan University and to give you a jump-start on your college career. The program will prepare you to join the Rowan family through assisting you with the transition to college. While Rowan Select students did not meet Rowan’s criteria for regular admission in the fall term, they are fully-admitted students who begin with a special course in the summer and receive excellent support and guidance throughout the year. Potential students are chosen for this program based on a specific academic profile and individual potential, as well as unique qualities that make them an asset to Rowan University.
Rowan Select Special Features
- Rowan Select spans from the summer before your freshman year through the conclusion of the spring semester of your freshman year, summer 2015 through spring 2016. Students join the University in the Exploratory Studies Program, which supports students before they declare a major, and participate in additional support systems designed to maximize student success in a structured environment. Students begin their Rowan careers in the summer by completing a course, Rowan 101: College Success (2 college credits).
- Students spend 3 days on campus, engaging with their instructor and classmates in addition to participating in Freshman Orientation, and then complete the remaining coursework at home in an online format. The course is offered on a pass/no credit basis and will involve in-person and online workshops and discussions, readings, and assignments geared toward preparing the student for a successful transition to Rowan. Included among many topics are discussions about academic skills, identity and diversity, academic integrity, and financial literacy. There is no cost to the student for this summer course; even the book and materials are free! You will pay only the same $175 Orientation fee required of ALL Rowan freshman.
- You will attend Freshman Orientation (July 6-8 or July 12-14) and stay for three days of interactive activities. These activities include beginning your coursework in Rowan 101: College Success. You will complete the course online at home by August 14.
- In the fall term, students are enrolled in 12-15 credits (full time), including three courses taken with other Rowan Select students and special faculty who are trained to work specifically with freshmen transitioning to Rowan. The three Rowan Select courses will include an appropriate math, writing, and humanities/social science course. Rowan Select students will choose one or two additional courses (enrolling in up to 15 credits total) from other offerings at the University. Students will meet with their academic advisor to determine which additional courses within the Rowan community will be the best choices for them.
- Rowan Select students will work with professional advisors in the University Advising Center throughout their first year for course selection, major exploration, and academic support.
- Rowan Select students enter Rowan in the Exploratory Studies Program and then can declare any major for which they qualify at the beginning of Spring 2016. Students will select their Spring 2016 courses in consultation with their advisor.
- In all other ways, Rowan Select freshmen are just like any other Rowan freshmen. We encourage all Rowan students to participate in extracurricular activities, such as clubs or sports. The Rowan community is a vibrant one, with students pursuing fulfillment through participation in wide-ranging opportunities. We encourage healthy life choices, multicultural competency, personal and professional growth, campus and community involvement, civic responsibility and leadership development. Our student-centered approach promotes the education of the whole person within a global society, helping students prepare for life after Rowan.
- Students will pay regular tuition rates for fall and spring semesters. The summer course is completely free to students. You will only pay the $175 regular Orientation fee.
- All incoming freshmen, including Rowan Select freshmen, must complete placement testing prior to May 5. You will receive more information about placement testing (and other “next steps”) after you confirm your enrollment by returning the confirmation form and deposit to the Office of Admissions. Placement testing will determine whether the student must complete any basic skills courses or is ready for college-level work in all academic areas.
- FAQ Information
How to Enroll
To reserve your spot in the Rowan Select program, please return your Rowan Select Enrollment Confirmation Form and $100 deposit to the Office of Admissions no later than May 1, 2015.
Please contact the Office of Admissions at 856-256-4200 or firstname.lastname@example.org