201 Mullica Hill Road
Glassboro, NJ 08028
Phone / 856.256.4134
Fax / 856.256.4714
8:00am - 4:30pm
Monday - Friday
Rowan psychology expert: Breast cancer patients benefit physically from mental health support | More
National Center for Women & Information Technology awards grant to new computer science club at Rowan University | More
Geologist to discuss involvement in NASA mission at Edelman Planetarium | More
Edelman Planetarium hosts fall program | More
Welcome, and Welcome Back! | More
Introduction to PAR
Performance assessment is a vital part of any organization. The PAR (Performance Assessment Review) allows supervisors to track employees’ job responsibilities, expectations, and performance throughout the work year. The PAR process is a two-way exchange that requires communication between Rater (Supervisor) and Ratee (Employee). Supervisors evaluate employees using a three tier rating: exceptional, commendable, or unsatisfactory.
For more information, please visit the following links for the State of NJ Civil Service Commission:
The Roles of Rater, Ratee, and Reviewer in PAR Process
Rater, the supervisor, evaluates and discusses employees’ work progress, job expectations, responsibilities and performance throughout each work year.
Ratee, the employee, receives an evaluation of current progress with job expectations and responsibilities.
Reviewer, the Rater’s supervisor, ensures that the PAR evaluations have been processed. The Reviewer may discuss the unit goals with the Rater. The Reviewer may also resolve any concerns between the Ratee and Rater.
The PAR cycle begins October 1st and ends September 30th.
- Initial PAR –An initial PAR must be completed during the month of October. Supervisors and employees are required to meet to discuss job responsibilities and expectations which are entered on the Initial PAR and signed. No rating is completed at the time of the Initial PAR.
Please note: To accurately process PAR in the NJ State System, an Initial must be completed.
- Interim PAR - begins October 1st and ends March 31st. During the interim cycle (midyear review in April of the performance year), supervisors and employees are required again to meet and discuss employees’ performance. Supervisors are required to rate the employees which reflects six month performance.
- Final PAR Cycle - begins April 1st and ends September 30th- During the final cycle (in the month of October of the performance year), supervisors and employees meet for a final review of the employees’ performance throughout the twelve month work year. Also during this meeting, supervisors and employees may schedule or discuss the upcoming initial PAR.
- Significant Performance Events - At all times during the evaluation year, any significant performance events, either positive or negative, are recorded on the Significant Events Block within the INTERIM and FINAL sections of the PAR form. These events should be discussed, initialed, and dated by both Rater and Ratee. Additionally, for both the interim and final, please include a justification for the rating and if applicable, a development plan.
- PAR deadlines are as follows:
- If the PAR is not completed, it can affect an employee’s promotional test score. Reclassification requests cannot be submitted to Human Resources without a completed PAR.
- If an initial is not created, the remaining cycles (interim and final) will not be entered in the NJ State PARS System (PMIS) and the employee will not receive an official rating.
- If the PAR signatures and/or dates are not completed, the PAR will be returned for appropriate processing. ALL PAR forms require THREE SIGNATURES (RATEE, RATER, AND REVIEWER) ALONG WITH DATES before the PAR can be submitted to Human Resources.
- Please be aware that the department maintains the original PAR (initial and interim) until the end of the cycle at which time the original PAR with any attachments are sent to Human Resources.
Additional Information about the PAR
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the PAR
For additional information regarding the PAR, please refer to your appropriate bargaining agreement contract and/or The NJ Administrative Code. If you have questions regarding the PAR, please contact:
Employee Development Specialist
856-256-4500 Extension 3366