A New Beginning for New Jersey Healthcare
On Aug. 22, 2012, Gov. Chris Christie signed the New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act, landmark legislation that is dramatically reshaping higher education and the future of healthcare in the state.
Intended to bolster science and medical education and research throughout New Jersey – and prepare more doctors to practice here – the law establishes Rowan University as the state's newest comprehensive research university and calls for Rowan to partner with SOM.
This historic legislation is momentous in another way: the partnering with SOM makes Rowan one of just two universities in the nation to offer both an MD (Doctor of Medicine) and a DO (Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) degree.
About this site
Rowan and SOM created this site to provide timely information about their partnership. Please visit this site frequently for regular updates as this partnership develops.
Summary of the Legislation
The New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act will bring sweeping changes to Rowan University, the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (UMDNJ), and Rutgers University.
The new law was passed by the Legislature and signed by Governor Christie on August 22, 2012, and becomes effective on July 1, 2013. It integrates the School of Osteopathic Medicine into Rowan University, transfers ownership of UMDNJ properties and buildings in Stratford to Rowan and designates Rowan as a research university within the New Jersey statutes. The remainder of UMDNJ, with the exception of University Hospital in Newark, will be integrated with Rutgers University.
New or expanded programs in health sciences at the Rutgers-Camden campus will be coordinated or subject to review by a joint Rowan-Rutgers-Camden Board of Governors.
Status of Integration
The New Jersey Medical and Health Sciences Education Restructuring Act becomes effective by July 1, 2013. As of October 1, 2012, integration teams began identifying issues critical to the partnership between Rowan and SOM. The committees are categorizing issues by urgency, from immediate to long-term. Administrative matters, such as human resources and information systems, student records and financial aid will be addressed first, with full integration expected to take several years. The legislation also addresses the issue of continued accreditation.
Integration Team Co-Chairs
Academic and Educational Programs
- Dr. Russell Griesback, Acting Assistant Dean, Education, UMDNJ-SOM
- Dr. James Newell, Provost, Rowan
- Dr. Kathryn Lambert, Acting Assistant Dean, Student Affairs, UMDNJ-SOM
- Mr. Richard Jones, Vice President for Student Life/Dean of Students, Rowan
- Dr. Vince DeRisio, Associate Dean, Clinical Affairs, UMDNJ-SOM
- Dr. David Rubenstein, Senior Director for Student Wellness, Rowan
- Dr. Carl Hock, Associate Dean, Research-UMDNJ-SOM/Senior Associate Dean, UMDNJ-GSBS
- Dr. Shreek Mandayam, Associate Provost for Research, Rowan
- Mr. Jim Golubieski, President, NJ Health Foundation
- Mr. R.J. Tallarida, Associate Vice President, University Advancement, Rowan
Human Resources / Labor
- Mr. Gerard Garcia, Interim Vice President, Human Resources, UMDNJ
- Mr. Robert Zazzali, Vice President, Employee & Labor Relations/President's Chief of Staff, Rowan
Buildings and Assets (Including Facilities)
- Mr. Donald Moore, Vice President, Facilities & Operations, Rowan
- Mr. Dave Schulz, Interim Vice President, Administration, UMDNJ
- Ms. Denise Mulkern, Chief Financial Officer, UMDNJ
- Mr. Joseph Scully, Vice President, Finance/CFO, Rowan
- Mr. Jeff Hand, Vice President, Strategic Enrollment Management, Rowan
- Ms. Denise Romano, Chief Information Officer, UMDNJ
- Mr. Raymond Braeunig, Acting Director, Privacy and Senior Compliance Officer, UMDNJ
- Ms. Christine Brasteter, Senior Director, Procurement, Rowan
- Ms. Julie Kligerman, Director, Legal Management, UMDNJ
- Mr. Stephen Weinstein, Vice President, Government Relations/General Counsel, Rowan
Government Affairs / Public Relations
- Dr. Joe Cardona, Interim Vice President, University Relations, Rowan
- Ms. Vivian Lubin, Chief Operating Officer, UMDNJ-SOM