Fun is a family affair at Rowan | More
Rowan University IEEE to host international visitors for Sumo Robot Competition | More
Assoc. Prof makes Ironman World Championship, raises funds to fight pancreatic cancer | More
Rowan film project supports White House fight against sexual assault on campus | More
Wanted: Glassboro’s most #RowanPROUD family | More
Accelerated B.S./M.S. in Computer Science
The Accelerated BS/MS in Computer Science is a program that allows a CS major to obtain an BS and an MS in CS with fewer courses, thus quicker and with less cost. This is how the typical BS/MS in CS would go:
* You apply for admission into the program at any time, but preferably before spring break in your junior year.
* The CS Graduate Committee (hopefully finds that you are a good candidate and) admits you into the program. The Committee will be looking for a high CS GPA and a strong letter of recommendation.
* During your senior year you take four graduate courses, instead of the four CS restricted electives that are required for the BS in CS. These four graduate courses count as your CS restricted electives, and you get to pay for these 12 graduate credits at the less expensive undergraduate tuition rate. You can walk at graduation and the CS department can give you a letter saying that you have completed the BS in CS degree requirements, but you don't get your diploma yet.
* You continue enrolled as a full-time Rowan student for one more year while you complete 18 additional graduate credits, which you pay for at the graduate tuition rate. After completing your total of 30 graduate CS credits, you receive your BS in CS and MS in CS diplomas simultaneously.
* Notice that you get your BS and your MS in five years (instead of the 4 + 2 years of a traditional MS degree) while paying for only 18 graduate credits (instead of the 30 graduate credits you take), but you pledge to stay for a "graduate year" as a full-time graduate student immediately after your BS degree. If you leave the program during your "graduate year" before completing the requirements for the MS in CS, you get your BS in CS degree but not the MS.
The one-page BS/MS in CS application form Application Form and Program Description are available for download.
Program Admission Requirements
Please speak to your CS advisor or email the CS Graduate Committee MSCS@rowan.edu with any questions.