College of Science & Mathematics
Dean position announcement:
The College of Science & Mathematics and the School of Biomedical Science and Health Professions
As the chief academic and administrative officer of both the College of Science and Mathematics and School, of Biomedical Sciences and Health Professions, the Dean will be responsible for providing overall leadership in promoting academic and research excellence. The Dean will be responsible for managing rapid growth in the College and School while enhancing their national and international standings. The Dean will determine the visions for the College and School in collaboration with faculty, staff, and students within the framework of the University’s strategic plan. Responsibilities include oversight, enhancement, and development of high-quality undergraduate and graduate programs, fundraising, budget management, allocation of resources, alumni relations, and local, state, national, and international outreach.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
• A terminal degree in one of the College’s or School’s disciplines or a related field from an accredited institution
• An established record of excellence in teaching, scholarship, and service appropriate to the rank of Full Professor
• A student-centered approach to instruction and mentoring, as well as encouraging an atmosphere that focuses on the comprehensive care and development of students
• Effective communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated success in administration, fundraising, budget and personnel management, and facilitation of grant acquisitions
• Experience with strategic planning and new program development
• Experience leading research enterprises that incorporate multiple investigators
• A comprehensive understanding of the needs of faculty to enhance research activity, growth, and collaboration
• An innovative and entrepreneurial vision for academic development and industry partnerships
The College of Science & Mathematics enrolls over 3,000 undergraduate and graduate students in the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, Nursing, Physics & Astronomy, and Psychology. The recently created School of Biomedical Science & Health Professions enrolls over 900 undergraduate and graduate students in the departments of Biomedical & Translational Sciences and Health & Exercise Science. Further information is available at www.rowan.edu/csm and www.rowan.edu/sbshp.
Rowan University is a comprehensive state-designated research institution with approximately 14,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20-miles southeast of Philadelphia, and it has a branch campus and medical school in Camden and a second medical school in nearby Stratford. Rowan is only the second university in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical-degree granting programs. The School of Osteopathic Medicine has a faculty practice plan that serves approximately 200,000 patients throughout Southern New Jersey. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Its business incubator also supports that mission. The University boasts eight colleges--Rohrer College of Business and colleges of Communication & Creative Arts, Education, Engineering, Graduate & Continuing Education, Humanities & Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science & Mathematics—and has been called upon by the state to create a College of Health Sciences.
The position will be available July 1, 2015. The salary is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Applications will be accepted until October 31st, 2014.
Applications must contain a letter of interest that includes a vision statement and clear description of qualifications, a current vita, and names and contact information for three references. All applications must be submitted online.
Inquiries only may be directed to the Chair of the Search Committee, Dr. Thomas Cavalieri, at
Rowan University values diversity and is committed to equal opportunity in employment.
All positions are contingent upon budget appropriations.