Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering
C. Stewart Slater
Professor and Founding Chair
- Ph.D. - Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University
- M.S., M.Ph. - Chemical and Biochemical Engineering, Rutgers University
- B.S. - Chemical Engineering, Rutgers University
- Rowan University, Department of Chemical Engineering, Professor and Founding Chair, 1995-present
- Manhattan College, Department of Chemical Engineering; Professor, 1992-1995; Associate Professor, 1989-1992; Assistant Professor, 1983-1989
- The Procter & Gamble Co., Process Development Engineer, 1979-1981
- Membrane process reseach and development: pervaporation, reverse osmosis, ultrafiltration, microfiltration
- Green chemistry & engineering design, sustainable manufacturing, environmental metrics & LCA
- Recent case study on solvent reduction in specialty chemical manufacture; summary and case study: http://users.rowan.edu/~slater/EPACaseStudy/NMPSolventReduction.pdf
- Pharmaceutical, specialty chemical and biochemical engineering separation and purification processes
- Educational methods development; laboratory development
- Heat Transfer
- Separation Processes II
- Junior and Senior Engineering Clinic I & II
Honors and Awards:
- 2012 South Jersey Biz Green Award
- 2012 Rutgers Medal of Excellence for Alumni Achievement
- 2009 Environmental Quality Award (U.S. EPA)
- 2009 Featured Educator (CEE Journal)
- 2002 Fellow Member (ASEE)
- 1999 Chester F. Carslon Award (ASEE)
- 1999 Joseph J. Martin Award (ASEE)
- 1996 Geroge Westinghouse Award (ASEE)
- 1992 John Fluke Award (ASEE)
- 1989 Dow Outstanding New Faculty Award (ASEE)
- 1987 New Engineering Educator Excellence Award (ASEE)
Office: 336 Rowan Hall
B.M. Pastore, M.J. Savelski, C.S. Slater, F.A. Richetti,"Life Cycle Assessment of N-methyl-2-pyrrolidone Reduction Strategies in the Manufacture of Resin Precursors," Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, DOI: 10.1007/s10098-016-1180-5.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, D. Hitchcock, E.J. Cavanagh, "Environmental Analysis of the Life Cycle Emissions of 2-Methyl Tetrahydrofuran Solvent Manufactured from Renewable Resources," Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, DOI: 10.1080/10934529.2015.1128719).
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, P. Kostetskyy, M. Johnson, "Shear-enhanced Microfiltration of Microalgae in a Vibrating Membrane Module," Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 17, 1743-1755, 2015.
A.V. Struck Jannini, C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, "Experiments in Pharmaceutical Engineering for Introductory Courses," Chemical Engineering Education, 48, 239-249, 2014.
E.J. Cavanagh, M.J. Savelski, C.S. Slater, "Optimization of Environmental Impact Reduction and Economic Feasibility of Solvent Waste Recovery using a New Software Tool," Chemical Engineering Research & Design, 92, 1942-1954, 2014.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, M.N. Ruiz-Felix, "Life Cycle Analysis of Solvent Reduction in Pharmaceutical Synthesis using Continuous Adsorption for Palladium Removal," Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 48, 1602-1608, 2013.
D. O'Connell, M.J. Savelski, C.S. Slater, "Life Cycle Assessment of Dewatering Routes for Algae Derived Biodiesel Processes," Clean Technologies & Environmental Policy, 15, 567-577, 2013.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, G. Hounsell, D. Pilipauskas, F. Urbanski,"Green Design Alternatives for Isopropanol Recovery in the Celecoxib Process," Clean Technologies & Environmental Policy,14(4) 687-698, 2012.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, T.M. Moroz, M.J. Raymond,"Pervaporation as a Green Drying Process for Tetrahydrofuran Recovery in Pharmaceutical Synthesis," Green Chemistry Letters and Reviews, 5(1), 55-64, 2012.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, "Partnerships with the Pharmaceutical Industry to Promote Sustainability," World Transactions on Engineering and Technology Education, 9, 6-11, 2011.
Raymond, M.J.; Slater, C.S.; Savelski, M.J.; "LCA Approach to the Analysis of Solvent Waste Issues in the Pharmaceutical Industry," Journal of Green Chemistry, 12, 1826-1834, 2010.
C.S. Slater, M.J. Savelski, W.A. Carole, D.J.C. Constable, "Solvent Use and Waste Issues," Chapter 3, in Green Chemistry in the Pharmaceutical Industry, P. Dunn, A. Wells, T. Williams, Eds., Wiley-VCH Verlag Publishers, Weinheim, Germany, 49-82 2010.
M.J. Savelski, C.S. Slater, C.A. Del Vecchio, A.J. Kosteleski, S.A. Wilson, "Development of Problem Sets for K-12 and Engineering on Pharmaceutical Particulate Systems," Chemical Engineering Education, 44, 50-57, 2010
C. S. Slater, M.J. Savelski,"Towards a Greener Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Environment", Innovations in Pharmaceutical Technology, 29, 78-83, 2009
C.S. Slater, C.A. McGinness, M.J. Savelski,"Pervaporation Study for the Dehydration of Tetrahydrofuran - Water Mixtures by Polymeric and Ceramic Membranes," Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 43, 1673-1684, 2008.
C.S. Slater and M.J. Savelski, "A Method to Characterize the Greenness of Solvents used in Pharmaceutical Manufacture," Journal of Environmental Science and Health, Part A, 42(11), 1595-1605, 2007.
D. Shonnard, A. Lindner, N. Nguyen, R. Subamatram, D. Fichana, R. Hesketh, C.S. Slater, R. Engler, "Green Engineering - Integration of Green Chemistry, Pollution Prevention, and Risk Based Considerations," Chapter in Handbook of Industrial Chemistry and Biotechnology, J. Kent, ed., Springer Publishers, New York, Chapter 6, 210-270, 2007.
C.S. Slater, R.P. Hesketh, D. Fichana, J. Henry, A.M. Flynn, M. Abraham, "Expanding the Frontiers for Chemical Engineers in Green Engineering Education," International Journal of Engineering Education, 23(2) 309-324, 2007.
C.S. Slater, T. Schurmann, J. MacMillian, A. Zimarowski, "Separation of Diacetone Alcohol - Water Mixtures by Membrane Pervaporation," Separation Science and Technology, 41, 1-21, 2006.