Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering
Project Lead the Way
PLTW New Jersey STEM Conference, January 11th, 2017
A Project Lead the Way (PLTW) STEM Conference will be held on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 at Rowan University from 8:00 am to 2:15 p.m. There is no registration fee for this conference and a light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
At this time we are soliciting proposals for conference sessions. If there is something you would like to present, please fill out this form NJ PLTW Conference Proposals.
Schools participating in PLTW may become certified during their second year after implementing the program. This is part of the quality control program. In addition only teachers from a certified school are able to become Master Teachers. To begin the certification process, CLICK HERE
From this link you can access all of the documents related to certification including the online self-assessment. Submission of the self-assessment will automatically notify the State Leader and Affiliate Director that your school is ready to schedule a certification visit. There is no fee for certification.
Note that the certification process is coming to the end and PLTW will be using a new school recognition program School Recognition Program
Students from PLTW engineering program schools that attend Rowan University in one of our engineering majors may receive course credit for two freshman year courses - Freshman Engineering Clinic I and Freshman Engineering Clinic II. The requirements for these credits are:
1. The high school must maintain status as a “certified” program in the Project Lead the Way network of schools. (note: this requirement will end with the end of certification).
2. The student must successfully complete the two Project Lead the Way core courses (Introduction to Engineering Design, and Principles of Engineering) and at least two elective courses.
3. Student achieves an average stanine score of 5.5 and no score lower than 4.0 on the Project Lead the Way end-of-course exam for each course.
4. Student must be accepted into one of the Rowan University engineering programs.
5. Rowan University will contact the high school to verify course completion and successful test completion.
Students interested in receiving credit for these two courses should contact the PLTW Affiliate Director (Dr. Cleary) during orientation in the summer prior to their freshman year at Rowan.
HIGH SCHOOL DESIGN COMPETITION
A survey will be available in Fall 2016 to help us determine summer 2017 training needs.
Anticipated Summer 2017 Training dates at Rowan are June 19 - June 30, 2017 but these are not yet approved dates.
Project Lead The Way (PLTW) supports K-12 students who are interested in a career in science, engineering and technology. Project Lead the Way partners with higher educational institutions to promote STEM courses in the nation’s high schools, and provides an integrated math, science, and technology curriculum in K-8 schools.
As a State of New Jersey Affiliate to Project Lead the Way, Rowan University will:
- Conduct three phases of technical assistance for those participating in PLTW, most of which is related to curriculum and instruction for middle school and high school personnel
- Implement the PLTW certification process for participating schools
- Conduct a variety of promotional and awareness programs for school counselors.
Project Lead the Way offers resources to K-12 teachers that strengthens student opportunities in engineering or science throughout the state, and the College of Engineering is pleased to support this program.
Teachers and administrators interested in becoming a PLTW participant are invited to contact the College of Engineering.
For More Information, please contact:
Douglas Cleary, Ph.D, P.E
Cherish Disante, Affiliate Assistant