Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering
Project Lead the Way
PLTW Guidance Counselor Conference, January 14th, 2015
A Guidance Counselor Conference for Project Lead the Way (PLTW) will be held on Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at Rowan University from 8:00 am to 3:15 p.m. We will be meeting in the Atrium in Henry Rowan Hall located off of Bowe Boulevard and across from Parking Lot M1. There is no registration fee for this conference and a light breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Schools participating in PLTW may become certified during their second year after implementing the program. This is part of the quality control program. In addition only teachers from a certified school are able to become Master Teachers. To begin the certification process, CLICK HERE
From this link you can access all of the documents related to certification including the online self-assessment. Submission of the self-assessment will automatically notify the State Leader and Affiliate Director that your school is ready to schedule a certification visit. There is no fee for certification.
Students from certified schools that attend Rowan University in one of our engineering majors may receive course credit for two freshman year courses - Freshman Engineering Clinic I and Freshman Engineering Clinic II. The requirements for these credits are:
1. The high school must maintain status as a “certified” program in the Project Lead the Way network of schools.
2. The student must successfully complete the two Project Lead the Way core courses (Introduction to Engineering Design, and Principles of Engineering) and at least two elective courses.
3. Student achieves an average stanine score of 5.5 and no score lower than 4.0 on the Project Lead the Way end-of-course exam for each course.
4. Student must be accepted into one of the Rowan University engineering programs.
5. Rowan University will contact the high school to verify course completion and successful test completion.
Students interested in receiving credit for these two courses should contact the PLTW Affiliate Director (Dr. Cleary) during orientation in the summer prior to their freshman year at Rowan.
HIGH SCHOOL DESIGN COMPETITION
Please send your training requests to email@example.com.
Tenatative training schedule for summer 2015
July 6 through July 17 - Introduction to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, and Civil Engineering and Architecture
July 6 through July 10 - Design and Modeling
July 13 through July 17 - Automation and Robotics
Project Lead The Way (PLTW) is geared towards helping middle school and high school students who are interested in a career in engineering and technology. Project Lead the Way partners with higher educational institutions to promote pre-engineering courses in the nation’s high schools, and provides an integrated math, science, and technology curriculum in the middle schools.
As a State of New Jersey Affiliate to Project Lead the Way, Rowan University will:
- Conduct three phases of technical assistance for those participating in PLTW, most of which is related to curriculum and instruction for middle school and high school personnel
- Implement the PLTW certification process for participating schools
- Conduct a variety of promotional and awareness programs for school counselors.
Project Lead the Way offers resources to high school and middle school teachers that strengthens student opportunities in engineering or science throughout the state, and the College of Engineering is pleased to support this program.
Teachers and administrators interested in becoming a PLTW participant are invited to contact the College of Engineering.
For More Information, please contact:
Douglas Cleary, Ph.D, P.E
Cherish Disante, Affiliate Assistant