Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering
Rowan Chemical Engineering Awards for Students
National & Regional Awards (List of Awards)
- The Rowan AIChE Student Chapter won an Outstanding Student Chapter Award for the second time in our program history. This coveted award is given to chapters that show "an exceptional level of participation, enthusiasm, program quality, professionalism and involvement in the university and community.” As part of the award, Tarynn Huitt (’15) and Brad Johnson (’16) were honored as presidents during the 2014-2015 academic year. The group was advised by Dr. Mary Staehle.
- Mariah Soyring (’17) won a Donald F. and Mildred Topp Othmer Scholarship. This is the first time a Rowan student has won this award, which is given to rising juniors on the basis of "academic achievement and involvement in student chapter activities.” Ms. Soyring is the current Rowan AIChE Treasurer.
- Mark Sharp (’16) won second place in the National Student Paper Competition for his paper “Bisphenol-A Exposure Affects Cognitive Development in Schmidtea Mediterranea during Head Regeneration.” This is the first time a Rowan student has ever won an award in this competition! Mark’s research was conducted in the laboratory of Dr. Mary Staehle, in collaboration with Dr. Kevin Dahm and Dr. Joseph F. Stanzione, III. His co-authors are Thomas Case (’16), Elizabeth Green (’16), Samantha Marino (’16), Samantha Winterburn (’16), and Matthew Wyatt (’16).
- Mariah Soyring (’17) and Luke Howard (’17) won the 2015 Student AIChE/CACHE Mobile Device Competition for the best mobile device APP that has a major focus on aspects of safety. Their App is titled "Chemical Spill" and is written for Android devices, and it is the first entry in the history of the competition that has ever been deemed worthy of an award in the safety category.
- John McKenna (’16) and Benjamin Webster (’16) won 3rd place in the National Student Poster Competition for their poster “Investigation of Cloud Height in a Stirred Tank.” Their coauthors are Michael Cimorelli (’15), Matthew Eisenschmied (’15), Paulina Kruszewski (’15), and David Miller (’15). The team is advised by Dr. Robert Hesketh and Dr. Arthur Etchells.
- Daniel Torri (’18) was selected as an International Relations Liaison, responsible for organizing and interfacing an international region’s student chapters.
- Mariah Soyring (’17) and Rachel Janes (’17) were selected as co-webmasters for the Executive Student Committee, the highest student body in AIChE.
University Awards (List of Awards)
Rowan Chemical Engineers have one numerous awards national, regional and university awards. The above two links give listings of awards given to our students. The photograph shown in Figure 1 has Brian Dericks and Dan Sweeney winning our first national award in chemical engineering at the 1999 AIChE meeting. You should also know that Brian Dericks was from our first class of students that we graduated in 2000. A selection of photographs of other awards is also shown below.
Figure 1: Brian Dericks and Dan Sweeney
at the 1999 AIChE Annual Meeting
Figure 2 : Picerno, Kline and Sweeney
at the 2000 UNI-TECH Student Conference
Figure 3: DiTonno, Gouker, Dr. Farrell, Ha and DeFlece
winning the 2000 Zeisberg Award
Figure 4: Hatton, Colligan, Bohnert, Sirchio
winning the 2003 Zeisberg Award