The College of Engineering - Civil & Environmental Engineering
Globalization and the continuously changing travel requirements of the world pose great challenges to transportation engineers. A transportation engineer fulfills the need for a national system that is safe, economically sound and environmentally friendly. A transportation engineer helps to maintain the intricate fabric of our society.
Some of the issues dealt with in transportation engineering include:
- Selecting transportation materials and recycled materials to ensure optimum performance of highways.
- Designing and maintaining strong, durable, safe and smooth roads.
- Designing traffic and road signals to ensure smooth (congestion free) and safe travel.
- Planning of transportation elements to meet the needs of the community.
Transportation Engineers work in a variety of situations, managing complex transportation system. For example, they work for specific industries, as consultants, and for governments:
- For industry, designing materials needed for a given application
- For consulting firms, completing projects for industrial and government clients.
- For government, assisting state departments of transportation in training personnel and addressing local issues.
If you are interested in Transportation, check out Professor Mehta's webpage.