Office of Sponsored Programs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
12) I am not a Principal Investigator on the sponsored project, and a Principal Investigator (PI) wants to assign me as a Proxy to view effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds. What are the steps to allow me to act as a Proxy and certify and review effort reports associated with the PI's rants/funds?
14) I received an email that effort reports are available for certification and review. When I log into the effort certification system and open up the effort report(s), the Certify or Review button is not available. Is there something wrong with my Banner account, Effort Report or other issue?
The Effort Report is available via Banner Self-Service module, under the Employee tab. The link is titled: Effort Certification. You will only be able to view effort reports for periods that are currently under review, and effort reports applicable to you. If you are a Principal Investigator, then please consult and use the Principal Investigator Certify and Review Manual - Abridged Version to locate and certify and review all effort reports associated with your fund(s) / grant(s).
2) I received an email indicating that an effort certification report is available for certification and/or review. Does that apply to me?
Yes, emails are only sent to Certifiers and Principal Investigators, in which the system has generated an effort report for the PI's grant(s) / fund(s).
If a Principal Investigator requires personnel to certify their report, then the PI should open up the effort reporting system, identify the personnel who have an effort report associated with their grant / fund, and email them requesting they log into the effort reporting system and certify their report. The PI should include the effort reporting webpage link in the email. The link to Rowan University's effort reporting webpage is http://www.rowan.edu/open/provost/grants/policies_and_procedures/EffortReporting.cfm
Principal Investigators, as Stewards of the grants/projects, have the authority to certify any effort report associated with their grant/project as Stewards of the project give the Principal Investigator the authority and responsibility to be aware of all costs and effort of personnel working on a grant/project. Principal Investigators will be required to certify and review any student pay associated with their funds/grants. To certify personnel's report, the Principal Investigator will need to open up the personnel's effort report, certify the report and then review the report. Buttons at the bottom of the effort report in Banner Self Service will allow the Principal Investigator to complete those steps.
No, the effort report recalculates payroll distribution amounts into percentages. You will not be able to view amounts using the Effort Reporting system, but you will be able to view the payroll periods for the effort reporting period under review, the associated percentages of the payroll preiods, and the funds for each payroll period. You can view percentages by opening up an effort report and clicking on the link titled: Pay Summary.
Yes, personnel and Principal Investigators should certify and review an effort report to ensure it is reasonable and a fair, accurate interpretation of effort. Effort report percentages must equal 100% for all effort reports.
5) I need to change my percentage of effort. Can I do that via the Banner Self-Service Effort Report module?
In order to change the percentage of effort, you should contact Effort Certificiation Administration for instructions.
The effort reports have functionality that allow changes made to percentages and addition of funds not listed. Changes made in the effort report via Principal Investigator or Certifier must be done in tandem with a notification email to Effort Certification Administration.
Please note that changes in the effort report via Self Service DO NOT flow through to the Banner Grants accounts, and therefore, your revised Effort Report will not be reflected in Banner Grants/Sponsored Project accounts. All personnel revising their grants/funds payroll distributions must perform those actions using Post-Award Grant Accounting procedures and forms.
6) My Principal Investigator cannot use Banner Self-Service to review a certified report. What can I do to get the review performed by the Principal Investigator (PI)?
If a Principal Investigator (PI) is not available to certify or review any report in Banner Self Service, please contact Effort Certification Administration.
If this is a one-time need because the PI is in a location that does not provide internet access, then the effort reports associated with the PI can be approved by the PI's Department Administration. However, the PI MUST approve the percentages listed on the effort reports via email, letter or dated fax and that PI confirmation needs to be sent to Effort Certification Administration to include in their records.
Please see FAQ #10 as it may relate to this question.
7) Personnel received an effort report, but did not work on a sponsored project. The personnel were paid as participants. What do I need to do?
Include a comment in the Banner Self-Service Graphical User Interface (GUI) effort report. Send an email notification of the comment to Effort Certification Administration.
8) In the Routing Queue link in the effort report, a pre-review and alternate certifier has not done anything. Can I certify and review the effort report without the pre-review?
Yes, for Glassboro and Camden campuses a Principal Investigator (Post-Reviewer in the Effort Certification System) or Personnel (Certifier) can certify and review without the pre-review taking place.
No, if you are an employee (staff or faculty) on the Stratford (RowanSOM) campus. RowanSOM utilizes the Department Administrators to conduct a Pre-Review of the effort reports to ensure they represent the salary distributions related to the funds and sponsored projects listed on the effort reports. Staff or faculty at RowanSOM will only be able to Certify and Review an effort report, once the Department Administrator has completed the Pre-Review of the effort report.
9) There are multiple Principal Investigators (PI) related to the grants listed on my effort report, so does every PI need to certify and review my effort report?
Yes, the system identifies a PI based on the grant. All PI's, whose grants are associated with the effort report, will be required to review a certified report. For example, if personnel work on two (2) grants/funds, whose PI's are different, then both PI's will be required to review and certify the report.
10) I received a message when clicking on the Effort Certification link in Banner Self-Servcie and I cannot open the effort report. What should I do?
Banner Self-Service Effort Reports use the JAVA application. If you are using a personal computer, then try different web browsers - Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and Chrome.
If this error is happening with a computer on the Rowan University network, please follow these steps:
For the Glassboro/Camden and Stratford campuses please contact Effort Certification Administration to receive assistance and other information related to completing an effort report.
Effort Certification Administration contact person is Eric Gregory, in the Office of Research.
12) I am not a Principal Investigator on the sponsored project, and a Principal Investigator (PI) wants to assign me as a Proxy to view effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds. What are the steps to allow me to act as a Proxy and certify and review effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds?
Pertaining to federal regulations, PI's need to certify and review effort reports. If a PI requires a proxy, then the request must be made in writing to Effort Certification Administration.
Principal Investigators must review the Effort Reporting - Identification of Proxy guide.
Principal Investigator must complete and sign the Assignment of Proxy form. This form must be completed and signed, then submitted to the Effort Certification Administrator.
Download and use the Principal Investigator and Proxy manual to complete Proxy steps in Banner Self Service Effort Certificaiton module.
13) I am a RowanSOM Department Administrator and I need to complete a Pre-Review. How does the process work? Do I need to contact anyone about being named as a Pre-Reviewer on a grant or sponsored project?
Department Administrators complete the Pre-Review process prior to certification and review. The pre-review is done using the same effort reporting module (Banner Self Service) as the certifier and PI use. A Pre-Reviewer manual is available to download and use when completing the review.
If you notice that percentages do not appear correct or accurate, then you can view the payroll distributions in the effort report. If payroll distributions still do not appear correct and there is a misallocation or wayward transaction, then you would perform normal procedures related to Post Award Salary Adjustments or other mechanism to update payroll distributions related to the grant or sponsored project in question. After changes are processed by RowanOSP Post-Award, Effort Certification Administration must be contacted to update the effort report. Click to contact Effort Certification Administration for more information.
Department Administrators must contact RowanSOM OSP Post Award and Effort Certification Administration to be named as a Department Pre-Reviewer.
14) I received an email that effort report(s) are available for certification and review. When I log into the Effort Certification system and open up the effort report(s), the Certify or Review buttons are not available. Is there something worng with my Banner account, Effort Report or other issue?
You may not see these options because the report is in the Pre-Review stage. Only the Pre-Reviewers set-up in our Effort Certification system will have the ability to click Review to move the effort report to the Certification stage. In the Effort Reporting Overview tab located in the effort report, you will be able to identify the date range when certification is available by clicking on the Effort Dates tab in the Effort Report Overview in the upper right hand corner of the effort report.
As a Principal Investigator, this period is a good time to conduct a review of all your effort reports, confirm percentages and funds/accounts represent a reasonable and accurate as possible representation of the effort performed for the individual named on the effort report(s). If the report looks okay, then you can certify the report based on the Certification Period dates. If the report needs to be changed, then contact Effort Certification Administration and ask for specific guidance about revising the effort report. Once it is revised and payroll updated, the effort report can be re-ran and by the time notated in the Certification Period, the corrected and revised effort report will be available to certify and review.