Office of Sponsored Programs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
12) I am not a Principal Investigator on the sponsored project, and a Principal Investigator (PI) wants to assign me as a Proxy to view effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds. What are the steps to allow me to act as a Proxy and certify and review effort reports associated with the PI's rants/funds?
The Effort Report is available via Banner Self-Service module, under the Employee tab. The link is titled: Effort Certification. You will only be able to view effort reports for periods that are currently under review, and effort reports applicable to you. If you are a Principal Investigator, then please consult and use the Principal Investigator Certify and Review Manual - Abridged Version to locate and certify and review all effort reports associated with your fund(s) / grant(s).
2) I received an email indicating that an effort certification report is available for certification and/or review. Does that apply to me?
Yes, emails are only sent to Certifiers and Principal Investigators, in which the system has generated an effort report for the PI's grant(s) / fund(s).
If a Principal Investigator requires personnel to certify their report, then the PI should open up the effort reporting system, identify the personnel who have an effort report associated with their grant / fund, and email them requesting they log into the effort reporting system and certify their report. The PI should include the effort reporting webpage link in the email. The link to Rowan University's effort reporting webpage is http://www.rowan.edu/open/provost/grants/policies_and_procedures/EffortReporting.cfm
Principal Investigators, as Stewards of the grants/projects, have the authority to certify any effort report associated with their grant/project as Stewards of the project give the Principal Investigator the authority and responsibility to be aware of all costs and effort of personnel working on a grant/project. Principal Investigators will be required to certify and review any student pay associated with their funds/grants. To certify personnel's report, the Principal Investigator will need to open up the personnel's effort report, certify the report and then review the report. Buttons at the bottom of the effort report in Banner Self Service will allow the Principal Investigator to complete those steps.
No, the effort report recalculates payroll distribution amounts into percentages. You will not be able to view amounts using the Effort Reporting system, but you will be able to view the payroll periods for the effort reporting period under review, the associated percentages of the payroll preiods, and the funds for each payroll period. You can view percentages by opening up an effort report and clicking on the link titled: Pay Summary.
Yes, personnel and Principal Investigators should certify and review an effort report to ensure it is reasonable and a fair, accurate interpretation of effort. Effort report percentages must equal 100% for all effort reports.
5) I need to change my percentage of effort. Can I do that via the Banner Self-Service Effort Report module?
In order to change the percentage of effort, you should contact Effort Certificiation Administration for instructions.
The effort reports have functionality that allow changes made to percentages and addition of funds not listed. Changes made in the effort report via Principal Investigator or Certifier must be done in tandem with a notification email to Effort Certification Administration.
Please note that changes in the effort report via Self Service DO NOT flow through to the Banner Grants accounts, and therefore, your revised Effort Report will not be reflected in Banner Grants/Sponsored Project accounts. All personnel revising their grants/funds payroll distributions must perform those actions using Post-Award Grant Accounting procedures and forms.
6) My Principal Investigator cannot use Banner Self-Service to review a certified report. What can I do to get the review performed by the Principal Investigator (PI)?
If a Principal Investigator (PI) is not available to certify or review any report in Banner Self Service, please contact Effort Certification Administration.
If this is a one-time need because the PI is in a location that does not provide internet access, then the effort reports associated with the PI can be approved by the PI's Department Administration. However, the PI MUST approve the percentages listed on the effort reports via email, letter or dated fax and that PI confirmation needs to be sent to Effort Certification Administration to include in their records.
Please see FAQ #10 as it may relate to this question.
7) Personnel received an effort report, but did not work on a sponsored project. The personnel were paid as participants. What do I need to do?
Include a comment in the Banner Self-Service Graphical User Interface (GUI) effort report. Send an email notification of the comment to Effort Certification Administration.
8) In the Routing Queue link in the effort report, a pre-review and alternate certifier has not done anything. Can I certify and review the effort report without the pre-review?
Yes, you can certify and review without the pre-review taking place.
The effort reporting system has two (2) required inputs from personnel and Principal Investigators (PI). Certification of the Effort Report by the personnel whose effort is being certified, and PI review of the Effort Report. In our system ,the PI is an alternate certifier, so the PI can do both inputs - certify and review.
9) There are multiple Principal Investigators (PI) related to the grants listed on my effort report, so does every PI need to certify and review my effort report?
Yes, the system identifies a PI based on the grant. All PI's, whose grants are associated with the effort report, will be required to review a certified report. For example, if personnel work on two (2) grants/funds, whose PI's are different, then both PI's will be required to review and certify the report.
10) I received a message when clicking on the Effort Certification link in Banner Self-Servcie and I cannot open the effort report. What should I do?
Banner Self-Service Effort Reports use the JAVA application. If you are using a personal computer, then try different web browsers - Internet Explorer, Mozilla, and Chrome.
If this error is happening with a computer on the Rowan University network, please follow these steps:
For the Glassboro/Camden and Stratford campuses please contact Effort Certification Administration to receive assistance and other information related to completing an effort report.
Effort Certification Administration contact person is Eric Gregory, in the Office of Research.
12) I am not a Principal Investigator on the sponsored project, and a Principal Investigator (PI) wants to assign me as a Proxy to view effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds. What are the steps to allow me to act as a Proxy and certify and review effort reports associated with the PI's grants/funds?
Pertaining to federal regulations, PI's need to certify and review effort reports. If a PI requires a proxy, then the request must be made in writing to Effort Certification Administration.
Principal Investigators must review the Effort Reporting - Identification of Proxy guide.
Principal Investigator must complete and sign the Assignment of Proxy form. This form must be completed and signed, then submitted to the Effort Certification Administrator.
Download and use the Principal Investigator and Proxy manual to complete Proxy steps in Banner Self Service Effort Certificaiton module.