Healthy Campus Initiatives: Healthy Body
Alcohol/Other Drug Use
Need to complete the Alcohol-Wise Course Requirement?
Information about AOD use and Rowan Policies
Everybody does it! Or do they? | Party Smart! | Alcohol and Other Drug Educational Classes | The CHOICES Are Yours|NJHEC
Looking for information about the Alcohol & Other Drug Educational Program? Click here to find out more or contact Bob Logan, M.S., LCADC at the Wellness Center at (856) 256-4333
Everybody does it! Or do they?
Check it out……
83% of Rowan students had not used marijuana in 30 days prior to the survey*
85% of Rowan students had not used a prescription drug that was not prescribed to them within the past 12 months of the survey*
Most Rowan students estimated their BAC (blood alcohol concentration) was below .08 the last time they partied*
*Source: Spring 2010 NCHA survey of 1435 Rowan University students
So what does that mean? It means that most Rowan students are making good decisions when it comes to alcohol and other drugs.
Looking for more information on specific drugs? Check out our resource page!
So how can you go out and have a good time and still safe? A couple things to keep in mind:
• The legal drinking age in the US is 21 years old. If you choose to drink underage, know the consequences and risks. Know NJ state law and Rowan University policies, including the off-campus policy.
• It’s ok not to drink alcohol. Bring your own beverage of soda, water or Gatorade.
• Keep an eye (and a hand) on your drink. It’s not just females who can have something slipped into it.
• What’s a party without your friends? Bring along some buddies...and keep an eye on each other. Know where the people you came with are at the end of the night.
• Alternate alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages if you choose to drink. Space out your drinks to keep it close to one per hour.
• Tell someone who’s not drinking where you plan to go and when you plan to return. This could be a roommate who’s not going out that night or even a friend from home.
Return to top
The CHOICES are Yours
CHOICES About Alcohol is a small group alcohol education program. Decision-making about alcohol use is discussed over two one-hour sessions. This group is run from Healthy Campus Initiatives in collaboration with AOD services and the Counseling and Psychological Services Center.
If you have been mandated to attend a CHOICES program, contact Sandra Woodell to be placed in the next available class.
Return to top
New Jersey Higher Education Consortium
Rowan University is an active member of the New Jersey Higher Education Consortium on Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention and Education (NJHEC). This voluntary association of over 40 New Jersey colleges and universities works to address campus substance abuse.
The mission of the New Jersey Higher Education Consortium is:
• to successfully pursue proactive prevention strategies to prevent campus alcohol and other drug abuse
• to develop strong institutional policies on drug use and alcohol abuse
• to measure the extent of drug use and alcohol abuse and their associated problems
• to create activities to bring about desired behavior changes in students, staff, and faculty
Check back often for training opportunities.
Return to top
Rowan wants you to stay safe when you party! For help with alcohol or other drug issues, contact:
Counseling and Psychological Services Center
Office of Community Standards and Commuter Services