Student Health Services
bullet #RowanGIVES Day 2017: Take part in Rowan’s biggest annual day of giving March 1 | More

bullet Ilyasah Al Shabazz, third daughter of slain civil rights leader Malcolm X, to speak at annual Rosa Parks Luncheon | More

bullet Rowan engineering prof lands prestigious Science Center grant | More

bullet Six Rowan Radio productions awarded in 2017 BEA competition | More

bullet Rowan students offer free income tax preparation services to qualified community residents | More

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need the Student Health Insurance Policy to be seen at the Student Health Services?
No. All matriculated Rowan Students currently attending classes are able to visit the Student Health Services.

Do I make an appointment?
Yes. Appointments are required to be seen at Student Health Services(SHS). Appointments can be made by calling the Student Health Services at (856) 256-4333. Students may also use the Online Wellness Link (OWL) to schedule most appointments for SHS. If you are not able to find the appointment reason or a time you are looking for please contact SHS during normal business hours for assistance. Students should cancel any appointment they are unable to make prior to the appointment time. Students that do not show for a scheduled appointment will receive a No Show Charge. Students under 18 years of age must have a parent/legal guardian sign a Consent for Treatment prior to their visit.Please call the The Wellness Center to schedule an appointment with a Student Health Services provider. It is highly recommended that students call early in the day before appointments fill up. True medical emergencies or major injuries should call 911 or proceed directly to an emergency facility.

Do I pay for services at Student Health Services?
There is no charge for office visits as we are supported, in part, by student fees. We offer certain medications, lab testing, and immunizations for a charge. For these services, you will receive a receipt which can be submitted for reimbursement from your health insurance company. Students are responsible for prescription drugs, labs, x-rays and outside provider costs. You may also receive personal counseling, including individual, group and couples counseling or psychotherapy at no charge through our affiliated Counseling and Psychological Services Center (856-256-4333).

Charges for Student Health Services

What health records are required?
Certain health forms are required prior attending school. These forms were included in your acceptance folder. Failure to complete the Mandatory Pre-Entrance Health Forms will result in a hold and up to $100 in late fees on your student account. Click here for help with frequently asked questions related to our immunization requirements.

Can I see a licensed nurse and physician?
YES. Licensed Registered Nurses are available all hours of operation. Physicians and the nurse practitioner are also available during normal business hours on weekdays (when classes are in session). We are fortunate to have highly qualified staff ranging from nurses with experience in Emergency care, in-patient hospital care and school nursing. We have both male and female physicians available Monday - Friday who are trained in primary care medicine. We have a nurse practitioner Monday through Thursday. In addition, Fridays, our physician also specializes in internal medicine and sports medicine.

Can I get a “class excuse” if I miss class because I’m sick?
Student Health Services does not provide class excuses. If you are evaluated at the health center for an illness or injury, you can ask for a form verifying your visit. We believe that it is important to rest when ill, especially if the illness can be spread easily by coughing and sneezing. Anyone with a fever of 100.5°F or higher should not attend class. However, your professors may have very strict policies about absences, and they may still consider your illness as an absence that could affect your class grade. If you have an illness that is severe requiring hospitalization or a long recovery, we can assist you in obtaining documentation. Sometimes professors call us wanting to verify that you were really ill, but we can not give this health information to them due to the confidential nature of your health records.

Do our health records remain confidential?
YES. All of your personal and health records are kept strictly confidential according to state and federal laws. NO Health information will be released by our health care providers or other staff to anyone, including your parents, without your prior WRITTEN authorization, EXCEPT in the following situations:

  • When there is a risk of imminent harm to yourself or another person
  • When there is reasonable cause to suspect that a child, elderly person, or mentally incompetent person is being abused, neglected or exploited.
  • When a court of law orders information to be released.
  • When State law requires documentation of immunizations as a condition of attending Rowan University or living in campus housing.
Student Health Services staff and affiliated health care providers, including counseling and psychological services staff, retain the privilege to consult with one another about clients for treatment and/or training purposes. If you participate in group counseling or education, as a member of the group you will be expected to commit to maintaining the confidentiality of that group.

What do I need to know to help stay healthy while on campus?
Many new students find that they get more upper respiratory viral infections (colds & coughs) than usual. This is due, in part, to changes in eating and sleeping habits, but it is primarily due to your increased exposure to people from many regions of the state, country and world. You are being exposed to more viruses and bacteria as you live and eat in close quarters with other students. The best prevention is simply washing your hands well before eating and after being with other people. Wash hands with soap and warm water and rub hands under water for 15 seconds (long enough to sing "happy birthday"). Carry alcohol-based gel for times when you can't wash hands. Don't touch your hands to your face (especially nose, eyes and mouth). Avoid sharing drinks and cigarettes, or playing games that involve kissing people or drinking from a previously used cup (as is common in "drinking games" such as Beer Pong.) This sounds like simple advice but it really works! If you have chronic health problems, please ask your personal health care provider about getting the flu vaccine. We will have a flu clinic on campus in November. Other infections are spread by sexual contact and all universities, including Rowan, have students with sexually transmitted infections. Condoms help reduce the spread of some but not all sexually transmitted infections, so your safest sex is no sex. Always use a condom when having sex, including oral sex. Most importantly, avoid alcohol and other substances that may reduce your inhibitions and cloud your judgment in making a healthy choice. Condoms are available at the Student Health Services. And remember, the best party can be a sober party!