Financial Aid
bullet College of Communication & Creative Arts celebrates excellence | More

bullet New Jersey Big Data Alliance comes to Rowan University | More

bullet Exploring science and more at Rowan | More

bullet Football team to hold Be the Match Registry on April 22 | More

bullet Professor provides tips for parents of children recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder | More

Undergraduate Frequently Asked Questions

FAFSA Questions
Loan Questions
Scholarship and Grants Questions
General Financial Aid Questions
NJSTARS Questions
Housing Questions
Frequently Requested Forms
Graduate Student FAQ's



What are your deadlines for filing the FAFSA?
We prefer you file your FAFSA by April 15, if you are a returning student.  If you are a first-time freshman we would prefer you file by March 15.  Regardless of when you file, we will review your FAFSA when we get it.  Therefore, the sooner you file the better.  If you receive Tuition Aid Grant your deadline to refile for the next year becomes critical. You must file a FAFSA before June 1st of the next academic year to continue to receive TAG.

What forms do I need to complete to apply for financial aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at  Paper copies are available by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center toll-free at 1-800-4FEDAID,  The FAFSA cannot be completed before January 1 of the year during which you plant to attend Rowan University.
What is the FAFSA Title IV Code for Rowan University?


I submitted my FAFSA have you received my FAFSA information?
You are able to check the status of your application by accessing the Student Campus Portal at .  Click on Student Self Service, the Access Banner Service Secure Area Log-in Required.   You are required to Log-in using your Rowan ID# and Rowan PIN #.  Once you log on, select Student and Financial Aid from the main menu.  Select Financial Aid Status and you will view your overall status.  Select Award and view your Account Summary, Awards, and Accept Award Offers. 

How is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined by the federal processor after completing the FAFSA?   I know I can’t afford to pay that much for college.
The EFC number determined by the federal processor is calculated by a applying a formula to the information you provided on the FAFSA.  This formula by the Federal Processor is designed to treat families with similar circumstances equally. Variables including family size, number of family members in college, age of older parent, and asset information are included in the calculation by the federal processor in determining the student’s financial need.If you think some of the information on the FAFSA is incorrect, please let us know and your information can be reviewed.   If the information is correct, chances are that the calculated EFC is correct.

How do I apply for financial aid when it was necessary for an independent override to be done last year or at a previous college I attended?
If you received a dependency-override last year and you need an override for this year’s FAFSA you should make an appointment with your Rowan financial aid counselor.  Please be prepared for your appointment by having a written note indicating your current conditions and the reason why you received an override previously.  You will need to request a paper FAFSA by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) and bringing the paper FAFSA with you to your scheduled appointment.

Can I expect the same EFC and offered aid in subsequent years?
In general, if the student’s and family’s income and assets remain fairly constant from year to year, you should anticipate roughly the same amount of financial aid offered as you received in previous years.  You should also note, that student‘s Stafford loan borrowing limits increase with grade level. 

Do I have to reapply for aid every year? Do I need to file a FAFSA next year?
Financial aid awards are for only one academic year.  Students are required to re-apply each year.  Please be sure to complete your FAFSA by April 15 of each year.
 The FAFSA is valid for one (1) academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer terms).

How do I report deceased spouse income on the FAFSA?
If you filed as a surviving spouse, you should be careful as you complete the FAFSA.  The best way to approach this issue is to complete a SIMULATED federal income tax return without your spouse’s income.  If you are a widow or widower, you should not report the income of the deceased on the FAFSA. 


Do I need a good credit rating to qualify for a student loan?
Federal student loans do not require a good credit rating; no credit check is done for student Stafford loans.  The federal Parent PLUS Loan (parent loan) does require a credit check.  All alternative loan approvals are based on credit ratings.  Most often, the credit of the co-signer determines the interest rate of the alternative loan.

How to apply for a Parent PLUS loan?

Every year a parent completes a PLUS Loan Application at The parent loan borrower will need their own federal personal identification number (PIN) to sign in and begin the loan application process. If the loan borrower does not already have a PIN, a parent may apply for a PIN anytime at

The loan borrower signs in at and selects “Request a Direct PLUS loan” and completes the loan application. Under “Credit Balance Options”, to avoid refund check delays, choose “The Student”. Choose the loan amount for the current academic year. Submit the PLUS application and a credit check will be performed. An email reply will be sent with the credit check results. Credit decisions may be viewed at, “My Loan Documents”, and “Direct PLUS Loan Requests”. First time Parent loan borrowers must immediately complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at

I applied for a Parent PLUS Loan, what do I do next?
The parent that has applied for the Parent PLUS Loan must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN).  The electronic MPN site at Direct Loans allows you to complete and sign an MPN over the web as an alternative to using a paper MPN.   The parent who has applied for the Parent PLUS loan will need to have a Department of Education issued PIN to electronically sign the MPN.  If you do not have a PIN, please visit the official PIN site at . After you have your PIN, proceed to  and begin the process of signing the parent Master Promissory Note.  For additional information about the Direct Loan Program visit:

Can Parent PLUS Loans be Deferred?
Deferment Available for Parent PLUS Loans Originated after July 1, 2008:
For Direct PLUS Loans that are first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, parent borrowers have the option of deferring repayment based on the enrollment status of the dependent student on whose behalf a Direct PLUS Loan was obtained.  Specifically, Parent Direct PLUS Loan borrowers may defer repayment:

  • While the dependent student on whose behalf the loan was obtained is enrolled on at least a half-time basis, and
  • During the 6-month period after the dependent student on whose behalf the loan was obtained ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

Parent borrowers must contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 800-848-0979 to request a deferment based on the dependent student’s enrollment status. If a Parent Direct PLUS Loan borrower requests a deferment, the servicing center will first try to confirm the student’s enrollment status available in either the Direct Loan Servicing System or the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).  If there is no enrollment information available, the parent will be asked to provide enrollment documentation from the student’s school and submit it to the servicing center.


  • Interest will still accrue during the deferment period.
  • The parent borrower will be sent interest statements and will have the option of paying the interest during the deferment period.
  • The unpaid accrued interest will be capitalized (added to the principal balance) at the end of the deferment period.
  • Direct PLUS loans with an earliest disbursement date prior to July 1, 2008 are not eligible for deferment.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at

1-800-848-0979.  Hearing Impaired borrowers can call 1-800-848-0983.

For further information visit Direct Lending website at:

How do I complete loan entrance counseling?
All first time Direct Loan borrowers are required to complete an Entrance Counseling Session before the loan monies can be disbursed into your account.  Please use this site to complete your loan entrance counseling session:

What is the interest rate on student loans?
Rowan participates in the Direct Student Loan Program. Student loans made under the Direct Stafford Loans student loan program offers fixed interest rates. Undergraduate student loans disbursed after July 1, 2014 through June 30, 2015 the rate is 4.66% for both the Direct Subsidized Stafford loan and the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford loan and a 1.073% Origination Fee. Unsubsidized Stafford loans for the Graduate/Professional student the interest rate is 6.21%. Direct PLUS loan borrowers are charged interest at a fixed rate of 7.21% with a 4.292% Origination Fee. (These rates are subject to change on a year-to-year basis).

What loans are available for students taking less than ½ credits for any semester?

Generally speaking the Federal Direct Loans are the best loan programs available. However, they are not available to students who are enrolled less than half-time enrollment. There are alternative loan programs available including: Wells Fargo Collegiate Undergraduate and Sallie Mae Smart Option. We will certify any loan you select as long as our certification clearly indicates your enrollment on a less than half-time basis.

How do I participate in the new income-based repayment plan (known as IBR) for federal student loans?
Please visit Direct Loan Servicing News web site at  for the latest information regarding IBR (income-based repayment). 

I am a non-matriculated student.  What aid and loans am I eligible for?
In order to be eligible for any type of need-based or federal financial aid including Stafford loans, you must be a matriculated student.  Matriculation means enrollment in a degree-seeking program including formal admission to Rowan University. 

I am a mid-year transfer student, what Stafford loan eligibility am I entitled to at Rowan University?
As a mid-term transfer student you are only entitled to the remaining grade level Stafford loan eligibility that was not used at your previous educational institution for the current academic school year.  In most instances the previous institution received half of your total year loan eligibility for the fall term; therefore, you would only be entitled to the unused remaining balance for the spring term at Rowan. It is important to remember your grade level is based on the number of credits accepted by Rowan.

Summer loan eligibility for non-matriculated students attending another school during regular school year.
Rowan participates in a number of financial aid programs designed to assist our students paying for classes.  Federal financial aid programs require among other things that the recipient be a student pursuing a degree program.  Rowan University must certify that its' students are or are not pursuing degree programs based on their matriculation status.  Transient students who want to attend Rowan for the summer term should pursue alternative methods of financing.  However, you should check with your college or university to find out if they have any financial arrangements for studies being taken at other institutions.

Are students eligible for summer loans once they file their walking or graduation application?

The act of “walking” at a graduation ceremony does not influence your financial aid.  However, the act of receiving your first undergraduate degree does influence your financial aid eligibility.  Once you receive your first undergraduate degree you are not eligible to receive any federal or state grants.  On the other hand, if you participate in a graduation ceremony but you have not really graduated, you will continue to be considered an undergraduate student and as such you are still able to receive any grants from the state or federal government that you may be eligible for.

How are alternative loans disbursed?
As a matter of policy all student loans are divided into as many disbursements as there are semesters in the academic period covered by the loan.  Thus a loan for fall and spring will be disbursed in two disbursements.  A loan for the spring term only will be disbursed in a single disbursement.  As a matter of policy we disburse alternative loans in the same manner and are using the same schedule as we use for the federal direct student loan program,
Loan repayment questions for graduating students

Repaying your student loans is critically important.  In general, repayment begins six months after the last day of school.  If you re-enroll in school to pursue another degree, you may be able to postpone entering into repayment.  Please take care to protect your credit rating as it will affect your future.  The best source for this type of information is the Direct student loan website.  Please navigate to:


Interpretation of incoming freshman scholarship information (i.e., SAT scores & class rank)
Rowan’s scholarship program is based on the student’s high school GPA and SAT scores of the combined total of SAT Critical Reading and SAT Math. Writing is not considered.

I believe my scholarship award should be higher
The value of the scholarships is based on your SAT scores and your high school class rank.  If you think your SAT scores or class rank may not be correct, please contact our Admissions Office at (856) 256-4200 to confirm your current information has been received and entered by the Admissions Office.

How do I apply for the freshmen scholarships?
There is no separate application required. Scholarship consideration is given to accepted students with a minimum high school GPA of 3.0 and have scored an 1150 or better (Critical Reading and Math) on the SAT. SAT Writing score is not considered.

Why did I get grant money last year and not this year if everything is the same?
Sometimes small changes can result in loss of grant money. For example, you or your parents earned  more or there was one less person in the household, these changes can affect eligibility. Eligibility can also be affected by errors on your FAFSA application and you should review your completed FAFSA and compare the information to your tax forms.

NJSTARS Questions
See NJSTARS below


Where’s my award letter?
For returning Rowan students, please check your Rowan e-mail for your award letter.

How do I accept my awards?

  • You must “accept” any Student Stafford loan or work-study offered before any further processing of those funds can occur.
  • To accept loans: Navigate to Student Self-Service  (
  • Select Access Banner Services Secure Area-login Required
  • Select the Financial Aid tab
  • Select Award
  • Select Award for Aid Year
  • Select aid year from the drop down box Click Submit
  • Select Award Overview tab
  • Select Resource/Additional Information tab Students must answer: 
    • How many credits do you plan to enroll for the current term? Select enrollment option from the drop down box.
    • For future reference, the student should print a copy of the accepted financial aid awards.
  • Select Accept Award Offer tab
  • Accept Awards and Submit

When will  my refund be available?
The bursar issues refunds approximately three weeks after the drop/add period is over.

I  would like to set up an appointment to come in and talk with a financial aid counselor.
Please call us at 856-256-4250 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

Am I still a dependent student if my parents don’t support me or help pay for my education?
Yes, Federal regulations state that you are a dependent student.  A student must meet certain requirements in order to be considered an independent student.  In cases of extreme family circumstances, such as abuse, the student may petition the Financial Aid office in writing for consideration to override the dependent status.  Submitting the petition does not guarantee a change of status.

What are the requirements to be considered an independent student?
To be considered an independent student, the federal government requires you to:

  • be an orphan or a ward of the court
  • be over 24 years of age as of January 1
  • be a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
  • be a married student living on his or her own and not receiving support from parents
  • be a Graduate student
  • have children (legal dependents) who receive more than half of their support from you. You must be able to provide documentation supporting this.
  • Your parents’ unwillingness to support you does not make you an independent student.  If you do not meet the above requirements, you are considered a dependent student.

For additonal information visit:

How much assistance can I expect?
All financial aid is based on a budget. Rowan has three budgets; living on campus, living off campus, and a commuter student. Budgets are further delineated by attendance. Once the budget has been determined Rowan then awards aid which will be comprised of a number of different types of aid depending on your eligibility. Grants and scholarships are awarded first, then Direct Student loans and Federal Work Study and finally Parent Plus loan offers. Parents and independent students can also elect to borrow an alternative loan if needed.

I would like to appeal my financial aid offer since I am making less this year, lost my job etc.
Please download a Change in Financial Circumstances Worksheet which will outline guidelines for an appeal and what documents Rowan would require to complete the appeal. You can also stop by our office and pick up an Appeal Packet.

How do I pay for school?
There are a number of financial aid programs designed to assist students and their families pay for college.  There are scholarship programs based on merit; grants for the neediest individuals and student Stafford loans.  The financial aid awarded to you depends on your individual circumstances as presented on the FAFSA.  However, merit-based scholarships are awarded on the basis of your SAT scores and high school class rank.  Educational loans from the federal government are usually the best loans offered in your award package.  However, there are many other loan options that a family should explore.  Please visit our website for more information on loans, grants and scholarships.

How many years can I get financial aid?
Usually you can continue to receive federal financial aid as long as you continue to make satisfactory academic progress. This means at the very least you need to earn 70% of all the courses that you’ve attempted. For example, you’ve attempted 50 credits and earned 40 credits. The minimum needed to maintain satisfactory progress would be 35. Once you’ve attempted more than 172 credits your eligibility for  federal aid is exhausted. You would still be eligible to borrow from an alternative loan source.

I can't find my PIN number do you have it in my file? 
Your PIN is your Personal Identification Number.  Only you and the agency that gave you the PIN know what that is.  If you have a PIN but cannot remember it, please go to the PIN site (, and select Access my PIN E-mail.  Once you respond to the challenge questions correctly you will be presented with you original PIN email.

How much does it cost to attend Rowan?
The value of a Rowan education is enormous.  Each year the Board of Trustees sets the tuition rates for the academic year.  This normally takes place in early July after the state budget has been established.  Again, soon after July 1, the Board of Trustees will set the rates for the upcoming academic year. For current tuition rates visit  Bursar’s Office at

How are 529’s transferred to school and counted towards Financial Aid?
Please contact the Bursar’s Office  to discuss this issue  at 856-256-4150.

How do I access my Rowan student email and access my Rowan ID# and pin?
Please visit for an online resource for all your technology needs at Rowan including your Rowan student email account.
                Phone: 856-256-4400

For Computing/Networking, Password/Username, Phone/Email & Other Technology Issues
The Rowan University Support Desk offers technical support for computer, network, telephone/voice mail, username/password and other technology problems or questions. Call 856.256.4400 or fax 856.256.4444 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
For a complete list of services offered, visit the Support Desk Web Site (


How do I find out about the changes to the NJ STARS program?
The NJ STARS program has changed! Please read the NJSTARS II Fact Sheets at the Rowan University NJ STARS page ( For more information on the NJ STARS and NJ STARS II programs go to:

How do I get into the NJ STARS program?
If you were a NJ STARS student at your community college, you may be a NJ STARS II at Rowan.  If you have not attended a community college and/or you were not a NJ STARS student while at the community college, you will not be a NJ STARS II student at Rowan. All NJ STARS participation is started at the community college level.

I am currently a NJ STARS student; what do I have to do so that I get NJ STARS II at Rowan?

First and foremost, you must declare Rowan as your first college choice.  We must also receive an official copy of your academic transcript from the county college you attended.  The transcript must clearly indicate that you have been awarded an associate degree and your final GPA.  You should not assume that you are an NJ STARS II recipient UNTIL you have been so notified by our office.


I need to live on campus and haven’t heard yet.  
Contact University Housing at 856-256-4266

Can I use financial aid to pay for off campus housing?
When completing your FAFSA indicate off-campus housing. The cost of housing is considered in your financial aid package whether you live in Rowan housing or not.  If you do not live in Rowan provided housing and you have financial aid which exceeds your bill to Rowan, you will be issued a refund check.  You can use your refund check funds to pay for off-campus housing. The refund will be issued about three weeks after the end of drop/add.