Financial Aid
bullet Football team to hold Be the Match Registry on April 22 | More

bullet Professor provides tips for parents of children recently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder | More

bullet Rowan University police launch body worn cameras program | More

bullet A swimming success: Rowan sophomore wins two national titles | More

bullet Rowan Engineering hosting summer 2015 programs for middle and high school students | More

Graduate Student Frequently Asked Questions

FAFSA Questions
Loan Questions
General Financial Aid Questions
Frequently Requested Forms
Undergraduate and Other FAQ's


What are your deadlines for filing the FAFSA?
We prefer you file your FAFSA by April 15, if you are a returning student.  If you are a first-time freshman we would prefer you file by March 15.  Regardless of when you file, we will review your FAFSA when we get it.  Therefore, the sooner you file the better. 

What forms do I need to complete to apply for financial aid?
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available online at  Paper copies are available by calling the Federal Student Aid Information Center toll-free at 1-800-4FEDAID,  The FAFSA cannot be completed before January 1 of the year during which you plant to attend Rowan University.
What is the FAFSA Title IV Code for Rowan University?


I submitted my FAFSA have you received my FAFSA information?
You are able to check the status of your application by accessing the Student Campus Portal at .  Click on Student Self Service, the Access Banner Service Secure Area Log-in Required.   You are required to Log-in using your Rowan ID# and Rowan PIN #.  Once you log on, select Student and Financial Aid from the main menu.  Select Financial Aid Status and you will view your overall status.  Select Award and view your Account Summary, Awards, and Accept Award Offers. 

How is the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) determined by the federal processor after completing the FAFSA?   I know I can’t afford to pay that much for college.
The EFC number determined by the federal processor is calculated by a applying a formula to the information you provided on the FAFSA.  This formula by the Federal Processor is designed to treat families with similar circumstances equally.  If you think some of the information on the FAFSA is incorrect, please let us know and your information can be reviewed.   If the information is correct, chances are that the calculated EFC is correct.

Do I have to reapply for aid every year? Do I need to file a FAFSA next year?
Financial aid awards are for only one academic year.  Students are required to re-apply each year.  Please be sure to complete your FAFSA by April 15 of each year.
 The FAFSA is valid for one (1) academic year (Fall, Spring, Summer terms).

How long does it take to apply and receive financial aid?  I don’t want my classes to be dropped?
After completing your FAFSA and Rowan has been listed as a school choice, Rowan will receive your completed FAFSA in our system.   After you have been accepted as a matriculated student enrolled at least half-time  (minimum 4.5 credits), notification of your award will be sent to your Rowan student email with instructions on accepting the aid offered

How do I report deceased spouse income on the FAFSA?
If you filed as a surviving spouse, you should be careful as you complete the FAFSA.  The best way to approach this issue is to complete a SIMULATED federal income tax return without your spouse’s income.  If you are a widow or widower, you should not report the income of the deceased on the FAFSA. 


How do I complete loan entrance counseling?
All first time Direct Loan borrowers are required to complete an Entrance Counseling Session before the loan monies can be disbursed into your account.  Please use this site to complete your loan entrance counseling session:

What loans are available for students taking less than ½ credits for any semester?
Generally speaking the Federal Direct Loans are the best loan programs available.  However, they are not available to students who are enrolled less than a ½ time.  There are a number of alternative loan programs available including:  Wells Fargo and Chase Select.  We will certify any loan you select so long as our certification clearly indicates your enrollment on a less than half time basis.

Summer loan eligibility for non-matriculated students attending another school during regular school year.
Rowan participates in a number of financial aid programs designed to assist our students paying for classes.  Federal financial aid programs require among other things that the recipient be a student pursuing a degree or certificate program.  Rowan University must certify that its students are or are not pursuing degree programs based on their matriculation status.  Transient students who want to attend Rowan for the summer term should pursue alternative methods of financing.  However, you should check with your college or university to find out if they have any financial arrangements for studies being taken at other institutions.

I am a non-matriculated student.  What aid and loans am I eligible for?
In order to be eligible for any type of need-based or federal financial aid including Stafford loans, you must be a matriculated student.  Matriculation means enrollment in a degree-seeking program including formal admission to Rowan University. 

How are alternative loans disbursed?
As a matter of policy all student loans are divided into as many disbursements as there are semesters in the academic period covered by the loan.  Thus a loan for fall and spring will be disbursed in two disbursements.  A loan for the spring term only will be disbursed in a single disbursement.  As a matter of policy we disburse alternative loans in the same manner and are using the same schedule as we use for the federal direct student loan program.
Loan repayment questions for graduating students

Repaying your student loans is critically important.  In general, repayment begins six months after the last day of school.  If you re-enroll in school to pursue another degree, you may be able to postpone entering into repayment.  Please take care to protect your credit rating as it will affect your future.  The best source for this type of information is the direct student loan website.  Please navigate to:   and select Locate/Repay Your Federal Student Loans for description of the various repayment options and to access helpful calculators. 

How do I find out information regarding consolidating my Direct Loans Student Stafford loans?
Customer Service Representatives are available to answer borrower questions from:
Monday through Friday 8:00 am EST to 8:30 pm EST
Toll Free: 1-800-557-7392
Hearing Impaired Borrowers with a TDD: 1-800-557-7395

Direct Loan Consolidation Address:

U.S. Department of Education
Consolidation Department
Loan Consolidation Center
P.O. Box 242800
Louisville, KY 40224-2800

What other type of loan besides Stafford loans are available for the Graduate student?
Graduate students are eligible to borrow under the PLUS loan program.  The terms and conditions applicable to the Parent PLUS loans also apply to Graduate PLUS loans; however, with the Graduate PLUS loan, the student is the borrower, not the parent.  The requirements include a determination by Direct Lending that the applicant does not have an adverse credit history.  The current interest rate is 7.9% for the Graduate PLUS loan.  Applicants for these loans are required to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and students may borrow up to their cost of attendance, less other financial aid.  Students must also have applied for the annual loan maximums in the Federal Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Programs before applying for a Graduate PLUS loan.
Graduate PLUS loan application

Can Graduate PLUS Loans be Deferred?
Deferment Available for Graduate PLUS Loans Originated after July 1, 2008:
For Direct PLUS Loans that are first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, graduate PLUS borrowers have the option of deferring repayment based on the enrollment status of borrower.  Specifically, Graduate Direct PLUS Loan borrowers may defer repayment:

  • While the student is enrolled on at least a half-time basis, and
  • During the 6-month period after the student ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis.

Graduate Direct PLUS borrowers must contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at 800-848-0979 to request a deferment based on the student’s enrollment status. If a Graduate Direct PLUS Loan borrower requests a deferment, the servicing center will first try to confirm the student’s enrollment status available in either the Direct Loan Servicing System or the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).  If there is no enrollment information available, the student will be asked to provide enrollment documentation from the school and submit it to the servicing center.


  • Interest will still accrue during the deferment period.
  • The borrower will be sent interest statements and will have the option of paying the interest during the deferment period.
  • The unpaid accrued interest will be capitalized (added to the principal balance) at the end of the deferment period.
  • Direct PLUS loans with an earliest disbursement date prior to July 1, 2008 are not eligible for deferment.
  • If you have any questions, please contact the Direct Loan Servicing Center at

1-800-848-0979.  Hearing Impaired borrowers can call 1-800-848-0983.

For further information visit Direct Lending website @:

I am attending Rowan University as a Graduate student.  How do I get a deferment for my Stafford loans? 
There are several deferment types available.  For more specific information please visit the Direct Loan Servicing Online web site at: /borrower/   for a complete listing of Deferment forms, descriptions and requirements.   Also, you will notice at this site there are links available for Forbearance Forms, and Loan Consolidation Forms.

I am having difficulty signing my Master Promissory Note on line.  Who can I call to talk with to help me?
Applicant  Services for Direct Loans  may be reached by calling 800-557-7394.  This customer service department will help you with MPN issues.  The hours of operation are 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, Monday through Friday.


I  would like to set up an appointment to come in and talk with a financial aid counselor.
Please call us at 856-256-4250 to schedule an appointment with a counselor.

How do I use my financial aid including my loans to purchase my books?
You may apply funds from your financial aid including loan monies to ‘Boro Bucks on your Rowan Card.  Please visit the Bursar’s office web page:  for information and complete instructions.

How do I access my Rowan student email and access my Rowan ID# and pin?
Please visit for an online resource for all your technology needs at Rowan including your Rowan student email account.
                Phone: 856-256-4400

For Computing/Networking, Password/Username, Phone/Email & Other Technology Issues
The Rowan University Support Desk offers technical support for computer, network, telephone/voice mail, username/password and other technology problems or questions. Call 856.256.4400 or fax 856.256.4444 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
For a complete list of services offered, visit the Support Desk Web Site


Undergraduate and Other FAQ's