Financial Aid
bullet Rowan University takes the handlebars in making a difference: Fourth annual Mustache March to benefit American Stroke Association | More

bullet Rowan Innovation Venture Fund accepting applications for financing | More

bullet A community of giving: First-ever #RowanGIVESDay raises $65K+ for University programs and scholarships | More

bullet Rowan researcher targets stem cell-based therapy for rare childhood disease | More

bullet Rowan Radio wins prestigious BEA awards | More

Types of Financial Aid for Graduate Students

Students pursuing a graduate degree at Rowan University may be eligible for some types of student financial assistance, including but not limited to student loans and assistantships. Graduate students must follow the same steps as undergraduates in applying for federal loan assistance.

Semester Enrollment Requirements for Graduate Students:

  • Full-time status = 9 or more credit hours
  • Half-time status = 4 1/2 credit hours

Note: the above enrollment requirements pertain to individual Summer Session Enrollment as well.

Graduate students must be enrolled in at least 4.5 credit hours at the Graduate level or above in order to be eligible for student loan assistance and for Rowan University to certify enrollment for a loan repayment deferment.

Students taking courses through the Graduate School who have not yet been admitted into a program are not eligible to receive federal funding. You also must be enrolled for courses that count toward your degree, defined as a matriculated student.

The receipt of some types of awards, including fellowships and tuition waivers, may decrease student loan eligibility.

Graduate Student Grants

  • Educational Opportunity Fund

Graduate Student Loans

  • Federal Stafford Loan Program
  • Alternative Loan

Graduate Student Work Study

  • Federal College Work Study
  • Institutional Work Study Program (only available for full-time students)

Graduate Student External Scholarships

Graduate Assistantships

Use Your Federal Aid First
Always use available grant and scholarship aid before applying for a loan. When considering your loan options, remember to use your federal aid before applying for private loans. Federal loans usually have lower fixed interest rates and more flexible repayment options than private loans. For more information, visit the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Aid First website.

How to Apply for Financial Aid: Graduate Students

  1. File your FAFSA
  2. Review your SAR
  3. Review your Award Letter
  4. Accept Award Offered
  5. Complete the Verification Process (if you are selected)
  6. Apply for Additional Loans if additional funding is necessary
  7. Sign your Master Promissory Note for Stafford Loans with Direct Lending
  8. Complete Loan Entrance Counseling