International Student Services
J-1 Exchange Visitors
Rowan University hosts a number of exchange visitors each year. Rowan is authorized to sponsor professor, research scholar, short-term scholar, specialist, and student exchange visitor types. To obtain a DS-2019, all J-1 visitors must complete the DS-2019 Application for Exchange Visitors. Please also read the information provided by the U.S. Department of State about J Exchange Visitor Visas.
Rowan faculty wishing to sponsor a visitor should do the following:
- Communicate with the the International Center regarding the details of the proposed visit.
- Submit a brief outline of proposed activities with an indication that the department chair is aware of the visitor and the activity. (Note: A funding source is required within the visitor's DS-2019 application.)
- Issue a letter of invitation to the exchange visitor and provide the International Center with a copy. SAMPLE.
- Complete the Department Request Form for J-1 Exchange Visitors.
Note: The International Center cannot provide assistance with housing for exchange scholars. Sponsoring faculty will be responsible for finding accommodations for the visitors they invite.
Please submit all materials to the International Center:
International Center – Robinson 117
201 Mullica Hill Road
Glassboro, NJ 08028
- The U.S. Department of State federally mandates all J status holders to carry current health insurance coverage.
- Each J-1 must purchase health insurance that meets the standards set by the U.S. Department of State for him/herself and his/her J-2 dependents immediately upon arrival to the U.S. Please read the J-1 insurance requirements.
- If you and/or your dependents fail to maintain the mandatory health insurance coverage, you and/or your dependents will be in violation of federal immigration regulations. You will be terminated as an Exchange Visitor participant and must leave the U.S. immediately.