Skip Navigation

International Student Services

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is paid or unpaid training that is part of an established curriculum in your course of study. It must occur before you complete all of the requirements for your degree.


To be eligible to engage in CPT, you must:

• be an F-1 student in lawful status for at least one full academic year at Rowan University (An exception exists for graduate students enrolled in a program that requires immediate participation in a curricular practical training.)
• be making normal progress toward the completion of your degree
• be registered full-time
• have been offered a specific training opportunity which falls into one of the following categories:

o The training employment is required of ALL students in the program and is necessary for completion of your degree. Included in this category is employment in a required internship or practicum.


o The training employment will result in academic credit in an elective course specifically designed to award academic credit for employment experience. The internship elective must be listed in Rowan’s course catalog and must state in the official course description that it is specifically designed to allow students to engage in off-campus internships. NOTE: You must register and complete the CPT-related course during the semester that you are working under CPT authorization.

Part-Time vs. Full-Time CPT

• You may only engage in CPT on a part-time basis (limited to no more than 20 hours per week) during the academic year when classes are in session.
• You may engage in CPT on a full-time basis during summer vacation, if you are registered for at least one credit related to the CPT you will pursue.
• Doctoral/graduate students who have completed all degree requirements, except their dissertation/thesis, may receive full-time CPT in order to complete their research.
• Students who have received 12 months or more of full-time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Applying for CPT

Please submit the following documentation to the International Center:

1. Copies of current immigration documents

o Passport (biographical data, photo, & expiration date pages)
o I-94 (front and back)

2. CPT Recommendation Form

3. Letter from the faculty member who will supervise your internship stating:

o Student’s name, major, degree level, anticipated graduation date, semester of course enrollment, number of hours per week
o How the specific internship is an integral part of the student’s curriculum
o The specific degree requirement or elective course that it satisfies including number of credits awarded
o Description of proposed employment
o The minimum requirements to complete the CPT
o A reasonable period of time needed to complete the internship (e.g., satisfying the requirements of a 1 semester, 3 credit course would normally be done in 1 semester or less).

4. Offer letter from the employer with the following information:

o Beginning and ending dates of employment
o Number of hours per week
o Position title and description of duties in sufficient detail to clearly show them as appropriate to meeting the requirements of your degree
o Location where employment will take place
o Your supervisor’s name and phone number

The International Center will review your application for eligibility. If your CPT is authorized, an International Student Advisor will issue you a new I-20 form showing the approved CPT and update your SEVIS record.

Important Rules!

• Do not begin CPT training until you receive your new I-20 with your CPT authorization from the International Center.
• Your CPT authorization is valid only for the specific employer, location, time period and on the part-time or full-time basis approved and recorded by an International Center advisor.
• You may not continue CPT training beyond the date authorized on your I-20, unless you apply and are granted an extension from the International Center.