Skip Navigation

International Student Services


A Summary of Visas and Employment Eligibility

Employment Information for Students with F-1 Visas

F-1 students may only work in the United States under certain conditions. The International Center must authorize all employment. Contact the International Center when you are offered a position. All on-campus and off-campus employment requires a social security number.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment means work performed on the school’s premises or work at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the school, such as the Barnes & Noble bookstore at Rowan. As an F-1 student, you may accept employment at the institution you are authorized to attend with the following conditions:

• You must be enrolled full time
• You may work up to 20 hours per week while school is in session
• You may work full time during vacation periods for students. However, you must plan on attending Rowan full time the following semester or at the end of the vacation period.
• You are not permitted to work on campus after completing your course of study.

Please come to the International Center to complete the necessary forms. In addition to the necessary forms, you are required to submit the following information to the International Center:

• An offer letter from your supervisor listing your name, job title, description of job duties, start date, number of hours/week
• Completion of Payroll paperwork including the Foreign National Information Form, Social Security Card, Passport, Visa, and I-20.