The Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine is dedicated to providing excellence in both undergraduate and graduate medical education, research and health care for New Jersey and the nation.
An emphasis on primary health care and community health services reflects the School’s osteopathic philosophy, with specialty care and centers of excellence demonstrating our commitment to innovation and quality in all endeavors.
The School seeks to develop clinically skillful, compassionate and culturally competent physicians from diverse backgrounds, who are prepared to become leaders in their communities.
To be the best osteopathic medical school in the nation by providing a premier, dynamic academic environment that attracts and nurtures outstanding faculty, staff, and students who are dedicated to our mission to promote health and treat illness.
Essential Values and Guiding Principles
Collegiality - Promote mutual respect, reward collaboration, encourage the open exchange of ideas, and facilitate the growth and advancement of individuals.
Guiding Principle: We recognize that it is outstanding, innovative, dedicated people, working as a team, who make our mission, vision, and values a reality.
Compassion -Be aware of, accept and respond to the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of others.
Guiding Principle: We consider the well-being of people to be preeminent in all of our activities.
Diversity - Support and foster tolerance, cross-cultural awareness and the dignity of all, regardless of race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, gender, pregnancy or reproductive status, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital, familial or domestic partner or civil union status, military or veteran status, genetic information, or physical ability.
Guiding Principle: We embrace all individuals in our communities and are committed to enhancing their health, knowledge, overall well-being, and opportunities.
Excellence - Provide superior education, patient care, and research.
Guiding Principle: We are committed to excellence in osteopathic medical education, research, and clinical care, especially acknowledging the importance of our major partnerships in the fulfillment of our mission. We measure our excellence against other outstanding academic health centers with a similar tripartite mission.
Innovation –Discover new ideas and develop cutting-edge knowledge to enhance the prevention, treatment, and cure of disease.
Guiding Principle: We are committed to innovation and collaboration across all aspects of our mission in the creation, discovery, delivery, and dissemination of new knowledge.
Integrity - Demonstrate fairness, honesty, sincerity, professionalism, and a consistent commitment to our mission, vision, and values.
Guiding Principle: We hold ourselves accountable for incorporating our mission, vision, and values into all operational processes, decision making, actions, and partnerships of the School.
Strategic Goals, AY/FY 15-19
- Provide excellence, innovation and integration in medical education to better prepare future physicians for the changing healthcare environment
- Grow RowanSOM
- Create accelerated programs within and beyond Rowan University
- Expand the RowanSOM network of clinical affiliates to support undergraduate medical education (UME) and graduate medical education (GME)
- Navigate the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) merger
- Expand Continuing Medical Education (CME) offerings and innovative educational programming
- Improve clinical trials infrastructure and management
- Increase the number of students in RowanGSBS from 200 to 500, commensurate with growth in faculty and research funding
- Recruit translational research faculty with proven expertise around specific research themes, including Aging, Neuroscience, OMM/OMT, Psychiatry and Primary Care, while continuing to build basic science research capacity
- Establish a centralized, service-oriented Research Facilitation Center (RFC) that provides expertise and assistance to faculty
- Create a Center for Healthcare Innovation/Healthcare Delivery Research Center in collaboration with other schools of Rowan University
Patient Care Goals
- Create a patient-centered, state-of-the-art, sustainable delivery system that serves as a role model for students, residents and communities
- Demonstrate a strong, sustained commitment to high-quality patient care and clinical education
- Improve access to RowanSOM health care for the communities of Southern New Jersey
- Align faculty capacity and incentives to support all missions of the school
- Align faculty skills and expectations to support all missions of the school
Administration and Finance Goals
- Enhance and expand facilities in support of all RowanSOM mission areas
- Promote operating efficiencies and productivity in support of all mission areas
- Increase revenues across major categories
- Enhance efforts related to philanthropy, working closely with the Rowan University Foundation
- Strengthen the school through marketing and branding, working closely with Rowan University Relations