The charter class of the UMDNJ-School of Osteopathic Medicine (now Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine) graduated in 1981 with 21 members. Today, RowanSOM graduates more than 150 doctors of osteopathic medicine each year and that number will grow to 162 in 2016.
Below are some facts about the Alumni Association:
- There are more than 2,300 alumni members, 1981-2014
- More than half of our alumni live in New Jersey (52%). Outside of New Jersey, the largest numbers of RowanSOM graduates practice in the states of Pennsylvania, New York, Florida, North Carolina, Maryland, Texas, California, and Delaware.
- 44% maintain a practice or are employed in NJ.
- 56% of our alumni who practice in NJ are practicing in a primary care discipline.
- Nearly one out of every four alumni enters into a family medicine practice (23%)
- The largest numbers of RowanSOM graduates obtained initial certification in the fields of Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Emergency Medicine, Anesthesiology and Obstetrics & Gynecology.
- An estimated ten percent of RowanSOM alumni practice at least 50% of their time in medically underserved communities (MUCs).