The Center for Teaching and Learning strives to assist SOM faculty with teaching support and professional development by providing guidance, resources, and services. To achieve these goals, we work directly with faculty on both an individual and group basis.
Please visit our Resource Library as well as our Resource page for SOM Faculty (log in required) using the menu to the left.
CTL staff members are available to meet one-on-one with faculty and volunteer faculty to review course evaluations and student responses to instruction. We can help by providing suggestions regarding techniques for improvement. We are also available to observe and/or videotape class sessions and provide feedback and suggestions.
The Center for Teaching and Learning hosts a variety of events for faculty on a wide range of topics. These events include live presentations and workshops, grand rounds, Webinars/Podcasts, and conferences. We also partner with other University offices to co-host events on both the Stratford and Glassboro campuses.
Additionally, CTL is here to help with specific Faculty Development program and/or site needs. If you would like to request faculty development programming on a particular topic, please contact Lisa Cardello at email@example.com and include the following information:
- Specific topic and learning objective(s)
- Target audience and number of participants
- Format (one-on-one live or e-mail or audio/videoconference), workshop/seminar (live or videoconference), or educational materials
- Target date and time
- Your contact information
Instructional Development focuses on Course design; Curriculum design; Course and curriculum implementation; and Evaluation of any and all of the above. CTL can assist faculty members in any of these areas. Faculty members can also submit course materials to CTL, and we will provide a written critique of those materials based upon current thinking regarding testing and measurement, syllabus development, and course design.
Support for New Faculty
The Center for Teaching and Learning supports new faculty members by providing a range of services and programming. New Faculty Orientation is offered in January and July each year and provides an overview of the University and available services. It also gives new faculty members an opportunity to meet administrators, staff and fellow faculty members. A New Course Directors workshop is offered periodically. CTL can also assist new faculty with the development of their course materials and syllabi.
CTL houses a variety of books, which faculty members are welcome to peruse and borrow. A robust online resource library can be found using the menu to the left.
"Faculty Focus" E-Newsletter
CTL distributes a biweekly electronic newsletter to all paid and volunteer faculty. This newsletter contains relevant articles, clinical cases, announcements, and a list of upcoming events. If you are a RowanSOM faculty member and are not receiving this newsletter, please contact Lisa Cardello at firstname.lastname@example.org. For past issues, please visit our Resources for Faculty page, found in the menu to the left.
The RowanSOM "Teaching Essentials" Webinar series is intended for clinical faculty and includes 15-20 minute Webinars on a variety of teaching topics. These Webinars can be accessed through the RowanSOM Faculty Development Blackboard page. To access them, you will be required to log in using your Rowan ID, then click on the Faculty Development Resources course. Find more information by clicking here.
The SOM Faculty Development webpage features a calendar of events and online resource library as well as other useful information. The RowanSOM Faculty and Staff page offers additional information and resources.
Americans with Disabilities Act
CTL staff works together to assist faculty in the provision of student accommodations and services to ensure equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990) and Rowan policy. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation and in consultation with the faculty and students.
Lisa Cardello, MA, NCC, Program Support Specialist
Center for Teaching and Learning
Email: email@example.com Phone: 856-566-6196
Events are listed below, and a .pdf calendar can be found here.
- Tuesday, March 24, 2015 - Banner Finance One-On-One Training, offered by Information Resources and Technology Training Services, 1PM-4PM, AC 273. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Wednesday, March 25, 2015 – TechFest: An Instructional Technology Expo event! AC Multipurpose Room, drop in any time between 10:00-2:00PM.
- Thursday, March 26, 2015 -
Transforming Health Disparities Through Interprofessional Education, Research and Service (IAMSE live Webinar stream) UDP 3013, 12-1pm
- Tuesday, April 7, 2015 – Grant Writing Workshop series: Introduction to Grant Budgeting. UDP 3013, 12:00-1:00PM. Please RSVP to email@example.com. Lunch will be provided at these workshops.
- Friday, April 17, 2015 – Blackboard: A hands-on training session, Presented by Donna Dobie, Academic Technology. AC 273 computer lab, 10:30AM-12:30PM. This training is part of the “FED” workshop series.
- Tuesday, April 21, 2015 – Grant Writing Workshop series: Creating Comlex Grant Budgets. UDP 3013, 12:00-1:00PM. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org. Lunch will be provided at these workshops.
- Tuesday, May 5, 2015 –A faculty development presentation by Dr. John Pelley, Texas Tech University School of Medicine which will address student learning (title forthcoming). Open to all SOM faculty and staff. 9-11am, AC 343.
- Tuesday, May 12, 2015, SOM Faculty meeting, 7-8am, AC Multipurpose Room
- Wednesday, June 10, 2015, Apple iPad trainings, 8:00AM-2:30PM, AC 343, RSVP required to email@example.com
- Thurssday, June 11, 2015, Apple iPad trainings, 8:00AM-2:30PM, AC 343, RSVP required to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, June 12, 2015, Apple iPad trainings, 8:00AM-2:30PM, AC 276, RSVP required to email@example.com
- Tuesday, September 15, 2015, Annual SOM Faculty meeting, 4-5pm, AC Multipurpose Room
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015, SOM Faculty meeting, 7-8am, AC Multipurpose Room