The Center for Teaching and Learning strives to assist SOM faculty with teaching support and professional development by providing guidance, resources, and services. To achieve these goals, we work directly with faculty on both an individual and group basis.
Please visit our Resource Library as well as our Resource page for SOM Faculty (log in required) using the menu to the left.
CTL staff members are available to meet one-on-one with faculty and volunteer faculty to review course evaluations and student responses to instruction. We can help by providing suggestions regarding techniques for improvement. We are also available to observe and/or videotape class sessions and provide feedback and suggestions.
The Center for Teaching and Learning hosts a variety of events for faculty on a wide range of topics. These events include live presentations and workshops, grand rounds, Webinars/Podcasts, and conferences. We also partner with other University offices to co-host events on both the Stratford and Glassboro campuses.
Additionally, CTL is here to help with specific Faculty Development program and/or site needs. If you would like to request faculty development programming on a particular topic, please contact Elizabeth Cronin at firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Specific topic and learning objective(s)
- Target audience and number of participants
- Format (one-on-one live or e-mail or audio/videoconference), workshop/seminar (live or videoconference), or educational materials
- Target date and time
- Your contact information
Instructional Development focuses on Course design; Curriculum design; Course and curriculum implementation; and Evaluation of any and all of the above. CTL can assist faculty members in any of these areas. Faculty members can also submit course materials to CTL, and we will provide a written critique of those materials based upon current thinking regarding testing and measurement, syllabus development, and course design.
Support for New Faculty
The Center for Teaching and Learning supports new faculty members by providing a range of services and programming. New Faculty Orientation is offered in January and July each year and provides an overview of the University and available services. It also gives new faculty members an opportunity to meet administrators, staff and fellow faculty members. A New Course Directors workshop is offered periodically. CTL can also assist new faculty with the development of their course materials and syllabi.
CTL houses a variety of books, which faculty members are welcome to peruse and borrow. A robust online resource library can be found using the menu to the left.
"Faculty Focus" E-Newsletter
CTL distributes a biweekly electronic newsletter to all paid and volunteer faculty. This newsletter contains relevant articles, clinical cases, announcements, and a list of upcoming events. If you are a RowanSOM faculty member and are not receiving this newsletter, please contact Elizabeth Cronin at email@example.com. For past issues, please visit our Resources for Faculty page, found in the menu to the left.
The RowanSOM "Teaching Essentials" Webinar series is intended for clinical faculty and includes 15-20 minute Webinars on a variety of teaching topics. These Webinars can be accessed through the RowanSOM Faculty Development Blackboard page. To access them, you will be required to log in using your Rowan ID, then click on the Faculty Development Resources course. Find more information by clicking here.
The SOM Faculty Development webpage features a calendar of events and online resource library as well as other useful information. The RowanSOM Faculty and Staff page offers additional information and resources.
Americans with Disabilities Act
CTL staff works together to assist faculty in the provision of student accommodations and services to ensure equal access to educational programs and services in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (1990) and Rowan policy. Accommodations are determined on an individual basis using disability documentation and in consultation with the faculty and students.
Elizabeth Cronin, MA, NCC, Program Development Specialist
Center for Teaching and Learning
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 856-566-6076
- Ongoing: Monday Morning Mentor. The RowanSOM Center for Teaching recently purchased a subscription to Monday Morning Mentor. This subscription offers 20-Minute Mentor online programs each week on a variety of teaching and learning topics. Paid and volunteer faculty will receive log-in information each Monday morning via the faculty email listserves. If you are not receiving this information and would like to, please contact Elizabeth Cronin at email@example.com.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2015, 7:00-8:00am, SOM Faculty meeting, AC Multipurpose Room
- Wednesday, January 27, 2016, Grant Writing Workshop: Finding Grant Funding. This workshop will be teleconferenced. Please contact Diana Vallandingham at VallandinghamD@rowan.edu for more information.
- Thursday, February 11, 2016, 2:00-3:00pm, Grant Writing Workshop: Introduction to Grant Budgeting & Creating Complex Budgetsg. This workshop will be teleconferenced. Please contact Diana Vallandingham at VallandinghamD@rowan.edu for more information.
- Tuesday, February 23, 2016, 10:30-11:30am, Grant Writing Workshop: Writing Winning Grants and Evaluating Capacities for Outcomes. This workshop will be teleconferenced. Please contact Diana Vallandingham at VallandinghamD@rowan.edu for more information.
- Wednesday, March 23, 2016, 1:00-2:00pm, Grant Writing Workshop: Stewardship/Say Yes to the Press. This workshop will be teleconferenced. Please contact Diana Vallandingham at VallandinghamD@rowan.edu for more information.
- Monday, April 11, 2016, 2:00-3:00pm, Grant Writing Workshop: Post-Award & Effort Reporting. This workshop will be teleconferenced. Please contact Diana Vallandingham at VallandinghamD@rowan.edu for more information.
- Wednesday - Saturday, April 13-16, NJAOPS Atlantic Regional Osteopathic Convention, Bally's and Caesars, Atlantic City, NJ. Visit www.njosteo.com/ to register.