The Summer Pre-Medical Research and Education Program (Summer P.R.E.P.)
2017 Program will run June 5, 2017 through July 14, 2017
Application deadline: February 3, 2017
RowanSOM Summer PREP annually accepts 12 exceptional Juniors and Seniors from colleges and universities across New Jersey for a six-week residential internship program designed for students who are often underrepresented in health professions. This program comprehensively introduces students to Osteopathic Medicine through exposure to biomedical research, clinical shadowing, MCAT instruction, medical school admissions processes, and skill-building seminars. The program is funded via the New Jersey Commission on Higher Education's Educational Opportunity Fund (NJCHE-EOF).
Objectives and Components
RowanSOM Pre-Medical Research and Education Program is a great way for motivated college sophomores and juniors to gain a variety of experiences that will support their medical school preparation. RowanSOM developed the Summer Pre-Medical Research and Education Program (PREP) as a health careers training opportunity to increase the number of under-represented students entering the medical profession, especially the field of Osteopathic Medicine.
- Mentorship: Program participants are paired with a RowanSOM faculty member to engage in research or to observe clinical evaluations for a period of six weeks during the summer. Participants will make formal presentations of their research findings and/or clinical experiences at the close of the program.
- Preparation: Participants will receive skills development and instruction to prepare for the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), how to plan academically and financially for medical school, and the interview and admissions processes.
- Experience: Participants will be exposed to the SOM campus environment, faculty, students and staff, and to various healthcare and research areas via seminars, enrichment activities and demonstrations.
Selected students will receive housing, meal allowance and transporation; a $1,100 stipend; free MCAT tutoring, practice books and supplies; and certificate of completion at the end 0f the program.
To be eligible for Summer PREP, applicants must be currently enrolled undergraduates who:
• Reside in New Jersey and are currently enrolled at a NJ College/ University
• Are recipients of the NJCHE-EOF grant
• Are currently in their Junior or Senior year
• Are US citizens or permanent residents
• Have earned a GPA of at least 2.75
- Program is located at Rowan School of Osteopathic Medicine, Stratford, NJ
- All amenities are provided, including housing and transportation.
- Academic credit is not provided
- Students are expected to provide their own health insurance.
- All vaccinations and PPD shots are required to be send prior to arrival to program
If you have any questions, please contact:
Summer PREP, RowanSOM
Center for Teaching and Learning, Academic Center - Suite 210,
One Medical Center Drive, Stratford, NJ 08084.
How to Apply
1) Complete the application form. Click here to download the application.
2) Write a narrative introducing yourself, explaining why you want to participate in the program and why we should choose you as a participant. Limit your answer to 1000-1500 words.
3) An official copy of your latest college transcript, showing recent Fall grades.
4) Submit two letters of recommendation: one from a college/university science or math professor with whom you have taken a course, and the second from any professor.
5) A letter from your EOF advisor verifying your participation in the program
Enrollment is limited. Interested students should submit all materials via email or mail by Friday, February 3, 2017.