Rowan University-school of Osteopathic Medicine Graduate Medical Education Procedures
Number: 200 Title: Visiting Residents Effective Date: 8/1/11 Last Reviewed: 7/28/11, 9/27/13 References: N/A
This procedure delineates the mechanisms for acceptance of residents from outside programs for in house rotations at Rowan University-School of Osteopathic Medicine/Kennedy University Hospital/Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center for AOA approved programs.
This procedure is directed to all outside resident applicants. OGME 1 and 2 residents from outside the Rowan University-School of Osteopathic Medicine/KUH/OLOL system are not permitted to participate in this training opportunity.
Of Terms House staff - refers to all interns, residents and subspecialty residents (fellows) applying for privileges to rotate at Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine/ Kennedy University Hospital and Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center joint residency training programs.
This procedure applies to all Chairpersons, Program Directors, Medical Staff and House staff of Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine/Kennedy University Hospital/Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center and any outside trainees currently under contract to train in an AOA approved residency program.
- Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine/KUH/OLOL only accepts visiting residents participating in a rotation with one of our AOA accredited Fellowship programs. Resident must be in the final year of their training program. I.E. A third year resident in internal medicine can participate in a rotation of one of our fellowships such as Cardiology, Geriatrics, GI, etc. No visiting Interns or 2nd year resident trainees will be accepted.
- As a condition of acceptance for a clinical rotation at Rowan University School of Osteopathic
Medicine, visiting house staff must provide a criminal background check. House staff may
accomplish this one of two ways:
- Visiting house staff may authorize Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine to obtain a criminal background check by completing the attached form. The visiting house staff must include a check made out to Rowan University for $95.00. There are no refunds for any reason of the $95.00 background check fee.
- If a criminal background check has already been done within one year of the proposed dates of the clinical rotation, a visiting house staff may permit the results to be provided by the reporting agency to Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine. The background check must have included a Social Security number trace to confirm past residences and a criminal background search based on all areas of past residence. The search must have involved all levels of criminal offense, all types of adjudications, all legal processes not yet resolved and all types of offenses, extending as far back as possible.
- Offers of clinical rotations will not be deemed final until the criminal background check has been completed with results deemed favorable by Rowan University. If the results of the background check are not deemed favorable by Rowan University or by the clinical faculty, or if information received indicates the visiting house staff has provided false or misleading statements, has omitted required information, or is in anyway unable to meet the requirements of the rotation, the offer of a rotation may be denied or rescinded.
- Before an applicant will be accepted a letter of agreement between the parties stipulating time to be spent here and that sending institution will be responsible for the house staff officer’s benefits, salary and professional liability insurance while here must be approved and signed by both parties.
- Attachments A (Resident Applicant Authorization for Criminal Background Check), B (CBC Info – Visiting House Staff) and C (Visiting Resident Application) all must be completed and submitted with the appropriate signatures and check.