The RowanSOM Emergency Medicine Residency Program is designed to train the resident physician in the recognition and treatment of all major emergencies: medical, surgical, traumatic, toxicologic, psychiatric, pediatric and obstetric. Emphasis is placed upon developing the skills required to organize and manage a busy Emergency Department and the skills designed to enable program graduates to assume leadership roles in the field of Emergency Medicine.
The program is three years in length. A year of osteopathic internship training is required. Each year of the program includes seven months of training in the Emergency Department and five months of training in closely allied fields. Elective and research time is also provided. Vast and expert resources in medical education are available in the greater South Jersey and Philadelphia area. Out-rotations include: Trauma, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Toxicology, EMS, Plastics and other high quality academic experience in University settings.
The Emergency Medicine Residency Program is thirty-six (36) months in length and will be centered at the Kennedy Memorial Hospitals - University Medical Center, with the Stratford Campus as the Base Hospital.
Twenty - one (21) months clinical training in the Department of Emergency Medicine of the Kennedy Memorial Hospitals - University Medical Center, with the Stratford Campus as the base hospital.
And as follows:
- Anesthesia (2 weeks)
- Pulmonary/Critical Care (1 month)
- Radiology (2 weeks)
- Trauma (2 months)
PGY - 2
- OB/GYN (2 weeks)
- Ophthalmology (1 week)
- Pediatrics (1 month)
- Plastics (2 weeks)
- Toxicology (2 weeks)
PGY - 3
- Adult Critical Care (1 month)
- Elective (2 weeks)
- Emergency Medical Services (2 weeks)
- Medical - Legal / ED Administration (2 weeks)
- Pediatric Critical Care (1 month)
- During the three - year period of residency training and before completion of the program the resident must:
PGY - 4
- Become certified as a Provider in Advanced Cardiac Life Support and Pediatric Advanced Life Support; certified as a Provider in Advanced Trauma Life Support
- Prepare a minimum of one (1) manuscript annually, suitable for publication, or preferably an original clinical research project.