Instruction in Internal Medicine is provided through bedside teaching, daily teaching rounds, educational conferences and interaction with other hospital disciplines while providing care for the patient.
- Morning Report is an educational conference that is held daily (Monday-Friday) at the Kennedy Health System’s Stratford campus. Morning Report is also held at the Cherry Hill and Washington Township campuses of the Kennedy Health System, as well. In addition, when interns and residents are on rotation at Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center they attend Morning Report at that facility. During the course of the academic year, lectures are provided in the disciplines of: General Medicine, Geriatrics, Pulmonary, Critical Care, Hematology/ Oncology, Cardiology, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, Neurology, Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Infectious Diseases. Lectures by faculty and attending staff in other non-internal medicine disciplines are also included on a rotating basis. There is a also a Morning Report lecture series that focuses on the “Business of Medicine,” featured topics include: managed care, health policy, health administration, liability, and practice management. Additionally, Cancer Case Conference and Pulmonary Pathology Conference is held monthly.
- Noon Conferences are held at least three times a week. The following gives some information on a typical month of educational programming:
- Journal Club – timely and relevant articles are discussed by residents and attendings, twice a month at this session.
- Board Review – weekly session using Board Review Books, MKSAP texts and questions.
- Grand Rounds - a weekly program scheduled by the Department of Medicine featuring faculty members, as well as nationally recognized guest lecturers. It is held live at Kennedy Health System’s Stratford Campus and video-teleconferenced to Kennedy’s other campuses. During the course of the academic year, lectures are provided in the disciplines of: General Medicine, Geriatrics, Pulmonary, Critical Care, Hematology/Oncology, Cardiology, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, Neurology, Nephrology, Endocrinology, and Infectious Diseases; as well as non-internal medicine topics.
- EKG Club – review of EKGs, held during Morning Report or Noon Conference sessions.
- Primary Care Journal Club – review of landmark and cutting-edge journal articles on Primary Care topics, held monthly.
- Evening CME Specialty Symposiums are educational conferences that are held in the evening over the course of the academic year. These symposiums focus on a specific medicine specialty or topic of interest.
- Bio-psychosocial lectures such as Ethics Grand Rounds are also held monthly during the academic year.
The resident is required to attend all Department of Medicine sponsored lectures daily including Morning Report and weekly Noon Conferences, conferences and meetings while on rotations within the Kennedy Health System, and on Selective rotations. The only exception is when the resident is on a Critical Care rotation. Attendance is taken daily and documented.