Faculty and Research Interests
Peitan Liu, PhD
Science Center, Room B120
University of Surrey
United Kingdom, 1992
Work in the laboratory concerns the role of the various mediators, such as cytokines (TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6), adhesion molecules (P-selectin, ICAM-1), and reactive oxygen species (nitric oxide, superoxide) in inflammatory development induced by ischemia-reperfusion. Currently the main focus of his lab is the study of the influence of aging on interaction of PI3K survival pathway and p53 apoptotic pathway in rat model of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion.
(Updated March 2013)
- Liu P, Xu B, Cavalieri TA, Hock CE. Inhibition of p53 by pifithrin-a reduces myocyte apoptosis and leukocyte transmigration in aged rat hearts following 24 hours of reperfusion. Shock, 30:545-551, Nov 2008.
- Liu P, Xu B, Cavalieri TA, Hock CE. Pifithrin-alpha attenuates p53-mediated apoptosis and improves cardiac function in response to myocardial ischemia/reperfusion in aged rats. Shock, 26:608-614, Dec 2006.
- Liu P, Xu B, Cavalieri TA, Hock CE. Attenuation of antioxidative capacity enhances reperfusion injury in aged rat myocardium following myocardial ischemia-reperfusion. Amer J Physio Heart Circ Physiol, 287, H2719-27, Dec 2004.
- Liu P, Xu B, Cavalieri TA, Hock CE. Age-related difference in inflammation and myocyte apptosis in the rat model of myocardial ischemia-reperfusion. Cardiovasc Res, 56(3): 443-453, Dec 2002.
- Liu P, Xu B, Forman L, Carsia R, Hock CE. L-NAME exacerbates microcirculation and cardiomyocyte apoptosis during myocardial ischemia-reperfusion. Shock, 17(3): 185-192, Mar 2002.
- Liu P, Xu B, Hock CE. Inhibition of nitric oxide exacerbates remote lung injury induced by hepatic ischemia-reperfusion. Shock, 16 (3): 212-218, Sep 2001.
- Liu P, Xu B, Quilley J, Wong PYK. Peroxynitrite attenuates hepatic ischemic reperfusion injury. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol, 279(6): C1970-7, Dec 2000.
- Liu P, Xu B, Spokas E, Lai PS, Wong PY. Role of endogenous nitric oxide in TNF-alpha and IL-1beta generation in hepatic ischemia-repefusion. Shock,13(3): 217-23, Mar 2000.
- Liu P, Xu B, Hock CE, Nagele R, SunF, Wong PYK. Nitric Oxide Modulates P-selectin and ICAM-1mRNA Expression and Hemodynamic Alterations in Hepatic I/R. Am J Physiol, 275(6 Pt 2): H2191-8, Dec 1998.
- Liu P, Yin K, Nagele R, Wong PYK. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase attenuates peroxynitrite generation, but augments neutrophil infiltration in the hepatic ischemia-reperfusion in rats. J Pharmacol Experi Therap, 284(3): 1139-46, Mar 1998.
- Wong PKY, Yue G, Yin K, Liu P, Lin M, Rodriguez A, Nomen M, Spur BW, Geng JG, Spokas EG, Sun FF. Anti-P-selectin antibody exacerbated inflammatory responses in acetic acid-induced colitis. In Recent Advances in Prostaglandin, Thromboxane and leukotriene research. Eddied by Sinzinger et al., Plenum Press, NY. pp323-326, 1998.
- Forman LJ, Liu P, Nagele RG, Yin K, Wong PY-K. Augmentation of nitric oxide, superoxide and peroxynitrite production during cerebral ischemia and reperfusion in the rat. Neurochem Res, 23(2): 141-8, Feb 1998.
- Liu P, Hock CE, Nagele R,Wong PY-K. Formation of nitric oxide, superoxide, and peroxynitrite production in myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rat. Am J Physiology, 272(5 Pt 2): H2327-36, May 1997.
- Wong PY, Yue G, Yin K, Liu P, Lin M, Rodriguez A, Nomen M, Spur BW, Geng JG, Spokas EG, Sun FF. Anti-P-selectin antibody exacerbated inflammatory responses in acetic acid-induced colitis. Adv Exp Med Biol, 433: 323-326, 1997.
- McGuire GM, P Liu, Jaeschke H. Neutrophil-induced lung damage after hepatic ischemia and endotoxemia. Free Radic Biol Med, 20(2): 189-97, Jul 1995.
- Liu P, McGuire GM, Fisher MA, Farhood A, Smith CW, Jaeschke H. Activation of Kupffer cells and neutrophils for reactive oxygen formation is responsible for endotoxin enhanced liver injury after hepatic ischemia. Shock, 3(1): 56-62, Jan 1995.
- Liu P, Vonderfecht SL, McGuire GM, Fisher MA, Farhood A, Jaeschke HM. The 21-aminosteroid tirilazad mesylate protects against endotoxin shock and acute liver failure in rats. J Pharmacol Exp Ther, 271(1): 438-45, Oct 1994.
- Liu P, Fisher MA, Farhood A, Smith CW, Jaeschke H. Beneficial effects of extracellular glutathione against endotoxin-induced liver injury during ischemia and reperfusion. Circ Shock, 43(2): 64-70, Jun 1994.
- Liu P, Vonderfecht SL, Fisher MA, Jaeschke H. Priming of phagocytes for reactive oxygen production during hepatic ischemia-reperfusion potentiates the susceptibility for endotoxin-induced liver injury. Circ Shock, 43(1): 9-17, May 1994.
- Liu P, Symons AM, Howarth JA, Boulter PS, Parke DV. Studies in surgical trauma: oxidative stress in ischemia-reperfusion of rat liver. Clin Sci, 86(4): 453-60, Apr 1994.
- Liu P, Ioannides C, Symons AM, Parke DV. The role of tissue glutathione in prevention of surgical trauma. Xenobiotica, 23(8): 899-911, Aug 1993.
- Liu P, Kentish PA, Symons AM, Parke DV. The effect of ether anaesthesia on oxidative stress in rats-Dose response. Toxicology, 80(1): 37-49, Jun 1993.
- Liu P, Ioannides C, Shavila J, Symons AM, Parke DV. Effects of ether anaesthesia and fasting on various cytochrome P450 of rat liver and kidney. Biochem Pharmacol, 45(4): 871-7, Feb 1993.
- Liu P, Symons AM, Parke DV: Chapter 35: The effects of fasting and ether anaesthesia on hepatic and renal function in surgical trauma. P385-394. In ‘Food Nutrition and Chemical Toxicity.” Eds D.V. Parke, C. Ioannides and R. Walker, Smith-Gordon, UK, 1992.
- Liu P, Symons AM, Parke DV. Autoxidative injury with loss of cytochrome P-450 following acute exposure of rats to fasting and ether anaesthesia. Xenobiotica, 2192): 205-15, Feb 1991.