Faculty and Interests
Deborah Podolin, PhD
UDP Building, Suite 2200A
University of Colorado, Boulder
I have taught Physiology at the medical school level for 15 years and have been the Course Director of Physiology at UMDNJ-School of Medicine for 4 years. Within the year-long course, I teach Cell and Membrane Physiology, Muscle, Gastrointestinal, Endocrine, Reproduction and oversee and facilitate 6 physiology small groups. I also teach some Endocrine Pharmacology to the second year medical students, as well as teach extensively in our Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences. Specifically, I am Course Director and primary lecturer of the core course, Fundamentals of Cell Biology and of an elective course, Exercise Physiology.
- Schwanke ML, Dutta K, Podolin DA, Davidoff AJ. Cardiomyocyte dysfunction in insulin-resistant rats: a female advantage. Diabetologia, 49(5): 1097-105, May 2006.
- Davidoff AJ, Mason MM, DavidsonvMB, Carmody MW, Hintz K, Wold LE, Ren J, Podolin DA. Sucrose-induced cardiomyocyte dysfunction is both preventable and reversible with clinically relevant treatments. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 286(5): E718-24, May 2004.
- Podolin DA, Wills BK, Wood IO, Lopez M, Mazzeo RS, Roth DA. Attenuation of age-related declines in glucagon-mediated signal transduction in rat liver by exercise training. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 281(3): E516-23, Sep 2001.
- Dutta K, Podolin DA, Davidson MB, Davidoff AJ. Cardiomyocyte dysfunction in sucrose-fed rats is associated with insulin resistance. Diabetes, 50(5): 1186-92, May 2001.
- Thresher JS, Podolin DA, Wei Y, Mazzeo RS, Pagliassotti MJ. Comparison of the effects of sucrose and fructose on insulin action and glucose tolerance. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 279(4): R1334-40, Oct 2000.
- Pagliassotti MJ, Gayles EC, Podolin DA, Wei Y, Morin CL. Developmental stage modifies diet-induced peripheral insulin resistance in rats. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol, 278(1): R66-73, Jan 2000.
- Podolin DA, Wei Y, Pagliassotti MJ. Effects of a high-fat diet and voluntary wheel running on gluconeogenesis and lipolysis in rats. J Appl Physiol, 86(4): 1374-1380, Apr 1999.
- Morin CL, Gayles EC, Podolin DA, Wei Y, Xu M, Pagliassotti MJ. Adipose tissue-derived tumor necrosis factor activity correlates with fat cell size but not insulin action in aging rats. Endocrinology, 139(12): 4998-5005, Dec 1998.
- Podolin DA, Sutherland E, Iwahashi M, Simon FR, Pagliassotti MJ. A high-sucrose diet alters the lipid composition and fluidity of liver sinusoidal membranes. Horm Metab Res, 30(4): 195-9, Apr 1998.
- Podolin DA, Gayles E, Wei Y, Thresher JS, Pagliassotti MJ. Menhaden oil prevents but does not reverse diet-induced insulin resistance in rats. Am J Physiol, 274(3 Pt 2): R840-8, Mar 1998.
- 2012, Recipient of the Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching
- 2011, Master Educator Award, UMDNJ
- 2007-2008, Mentor of the Year Award, UMDNJ
- 2004-2005, Recipient of the Foundation of UMDNJ’s Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2001, Outstanding Teacher, awarded by the Physician Assistant Students, University of New England, Class of 2001
- 1992, Department of EPO Biology Graduate Teaching Excellence Award, University of Colorado, Boulder
(Updated May 2013)