Faculty and Research Interests
Sal J. Caradonna, PhD
Professor and Chair
Science Center 124
Fax: 856 566-6232
State University of New York at Buffalo,
Roswell Park Cancer Institute, NY
PhD (Pharmacology) , 1980
Marist College, NY
BA (Biology) , 1975
DNA repair, cell-cycle regulatory pathways and apoptotic mechanisms induced by aberrant DNA repair mechanisms.
- Jennifer A. Fischer, Susan Muller-Weeks and Salvatore J. Caradonna. " Fluorodeoxyuridine Modulates Cellular Expression of the DNA Base Excision Repair Enzyme Uracil-DNA Glycosylase." Cancer Research 66, 8829-8837, September 1, 2006.
- Muller-Weeks, S., Balzer, R.J., Anderson, R. and Caradonna, S.. "Proliferation-dependent expression of nuclear uracil-DNA glycosylase is mediated in part by E2F-4." DNA Repair, Vol. 4, Issue 2, 183-190, 2005.
- Fischer, J.A., Muller-Weeks, S., Caradonna, S.. "Proteolytic Degradation of the Nuclear Isoform of Uracil-DNA Glycosylase Occurs During the S Phase of the Cell Cycle." DNA Repair: 3, 505-513, 2004.
- Elateri, I., Muller-Weeks, S. and Caradonna, S.. " The Transcription Factor, NFI/CTF Plays a Positive Regulatory Role in Expression of the hSMUG1 Gene." DNA Repair 2: 1371-1385, 2003.
- Elateri, I., Tinkelenberg, B.A., Hansbury, M., Caradonna, S., Muller-Weeks, S. and Ladner, R.D., "hSMUG1 can functionally compensate for Ung1 in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae." DNA Repair 2:315-323, 2003.
- Caradonna, S. and Muller-Weeks, S "The Nature of Enzymes Involved in Uracil-DNA Repair: Isoform Characteristics of Proteins Responsible for Nuclear and Mitochondrial Genomic Integrity." Current Protein and Peptide Science 2:335-347, 2001
- Ladner, R.D., Lynch, F.J., Groshen, S., Xiong, Y.P., Sherrod, A., Caradonna, S.J., Stoehlmacher, J. and Lenz, H.J." dUTPase Isoform Expression in Normal and Neoplastic Tissues: Association with Survival and Response to 5-FU in Colorectal Cancer." Cancer Research 60: 3493-3503, 2000
- M. B. Dabrow, D.O., M. R. Francesco, M.S. F.X. McBrearty, M.D. And S.J. Caradonna, Ph.D.." The Effects of Platelet-Derived Growth Factor and Receptor on Normal and Neoplastic Human Ovarian Surface Epithelium." Gynecologic Oncology 71: 29-37, 1998
- Muller-Weeks, S. J., Mastran, B. and Caradonna, S.." Identification of a Novel Isoform of the Highly Conserved Human Uracil-DNA Glycosylase." J. Biol. Chem. 273: 21909-21917, 1998