Congratulations Graduates 2013! | More
Regional high school students can RISE in Rowan Engineering | More
College of Engineering welcomes middle school girls to annual AWE summer workshops | More
Rowan sets information session for Young Profs Exploration Camp | More
Cancer survivor turns dream into reality | More
Disability Resources provides accommodations and assistance to students with various documented disabilities in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. Students who meet University admissions requirements (i.e., otherwise qualified to attend the University) are required
to submit appropriate documentation so that the University can determine whether they qualify for reasonable accommodations.
The staff coordinate and ensure accessible classes, use of assistive technology, audiotaped books (when available), examination administration in cooperation with the instructor, as well as other services as deemed necessary.
Students requiring accommodations should contact the Disability Resources office upon receiving an acceptance letter or when a disability is identified.
Provide the office with required documentation of the disability (please refer to our Documentation Guidelines)
Meet with Disability Resources Coordinator:
Fill out Disability Resources Registration Form and Consent for Release of Info
Interview with John Woodruff
Discuss accommodations and develop plan
For classroom accommodations, the student must pick up letters certifying eligibility and outlining required accommodations. The student is responsible for sharing these letters with faculty every semester.
Rowan is committed to providing a safe and secure learning and working environment for its students and employees. Safety, however, is everyone’s responsibility. Please take a few moments to familiarize yourself with this website and the procedures we ask you to use during an emergency.
Attention CGCE Students:
A student with a disability considering enrolling in an online or hybrid course should first visit the RowanOnline.com web site to assist in their decision.
The University will provide reasonable accommodations for anyone to obtain equal access to educational or occupational programs and activities.
Applicants will need to provide comprehensive and current documentation of a qualifying disability and submit a request for services form. Forms are available by contacting the Academic Success Center.
Within one month of the beginning of the semester and submission of all essential information, the Director of the Academic Success Center, whose office is the first contact for students requiring assistance, and the student will meet to seek agreement on accommodations to be provided.
Request for Services Process
- Bring documents that verify disability.
- Fill out Request for Services form.
- Interview with the Director for the Academic Success Center and Disability Resources
- Verification of documentation.
- For in-classroom accommodations, pick up instructors’ letters.
Attention CGCE Students:
Any students in CGCE Extension/online/hybrid courses requesting accommodation must consult the additional information below:
Online/Hybrid Course Accommodation Procedures
The request and determination of online or hybrid course accommodations varies from those needed for in-class study. Therefore students are required to follow these Online/Hybrid Course Accommodation procedures when enrolling in an online course:
- Student contacts Disability resources office to request an accommodation letter to be emailed to them prior to the start of their course. If necessary, the accommodation letter will be modified to meet the needs of the student for the online/hybrid course.
- Student contacts professor with as much notice as possible to inform him/her of the online/hybrid course registration and disability accommodation.
- Online/Hybrid accommodation letters are scanned ad emailed to the student.
- Student emails accommodation letter to the professor.
Online course accommodations are approved on a case-by-case basis according to the student’s disability and documentation
Online Timed Test Accommodations
For students who have an accommodation of extended time on tests there may be the need for an exception with online timed tests. This usually involves modifying the rules for the exam to give the student extra minutes based on the accommodation letter.
ADA/504 Grievance Procedures for Students
- Students requesting accommodations under the ADA or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act who are dissatisfied with the results of the Disability Resources / Academic Success Center (ASC) may file a written grievance with the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students within ten days of receipt of the ASC’s decision. The grievant must provide all pertinent documentation supporting the grievance. If the student has been denied accommodations after they have been determined eligible, the process begins at the Office of Disability Resources.
- The grievant must specifically state the reasons for grievance and the action he or she believes should be taken to accommodate the identified disability.
- Within eight days after notification of the grievance, the ASC will report to the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students what was done in response to the request for accommodations and the reasons why agreement could not be reached.
- The Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students may request additional information from the grievant or the ASC at any time and may discuss the matter with anyone in reaching a decision. The grievance record will be closed when all information is received by the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Students. The Vice President and Dean of Student’s report and recommendation will be sent to be University President Staff within ten days of the closing of the records.
- Within ten days following the receipt of the Vice President for Student Life and Dean of Student’s report, the UP Staff will accept, reject or modify the report and recommendation and issue a determination.
- If the grievant is not satisfied with the University President Staff’s determination, he or she can appeal the determination to the President.
- The President must issue a determination within eight days, which is the University’s final decision.
- These timeframes are subject to change in any given manner when essential individuals and/or information is not readily available or when the academic calendar warrants.
Online and Hybrid Course Accommodations Procedures
Students with classroom accommodations considering taking Online or Hybrid courses need to read the attached documents to determine if Online and Hybrid courses are for you.
Considerations of Online and Hybrid Course
Online and Hybrid Course Accommodation Procedures
Special On-Campus Housing Needs
Students who need any special housing accommodations must submit proper documentation and be eligible under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Once verified, the Office of Disability Resources will notify Residence Life of the student's eligibility. Reasonable accomodations will be discussed at that time.
Save The Date !
Disability Awareness Week 2012
October 15-19, 2012
Disability Awareness Week 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFHZ8ZMlHQw
Required Documentation (pdf file, 18k) (Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader)
ADHD Verification Form
Public Safety Rescue Information (Microsoft Word Document, 29k)
Sure Pass to Success Coaching Program
Workshops & Events
Tips for Success
The Study Zone
Rowan University Light It Up Blue Facebook group