- What Can I Do With This Major/Degree?
- Self-Assessment Tools
- Four Year Plan
- Career Shift
- Candid Career
- Online Resources for Exploring Majors & Careers
- Diversity Resources
Graduate and Professional School Planning
• Preparing for Graduate School
• Resources for Graduate School
• Test Information for Graduate and Professional School
• Key Tips for Writing a Graduate School Essay
• Graduate School Planning Checklist
- Academic Careers Online is the ultimate global academic job site for teaching jobs, education jobs, research jobs, and professional jobs in education and academia. Academic Careers Online includes faculty, teacher, research, post doc, adjunct, library, administrative and senior management positions at (community) colleges, universities, research institutes, and schools around the world.
- CareerShift is an online job search tool designed to help job seekers successfully navigate the published and hidden job market to find gainful employment.
- The Chronicle of Higher Education is the number one source of news, information, and jobs for college and university faculty members and administrators.
- Glassdoor is the world's most transparent career community that is changing the way people find jobs, and companies recruit top talent. Glassdoor holds a growing database of 6 million company reviews, CEO approval ratings, salary reports, interview reviews and questions, benefits reviews, office photos and more. Add to that millions of the latest jobs — no other community allows you to see which employers are hiring, what it's really like to work or interview there, and how much you could earn.
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC) provides web-based search engines that include job listings for both faculty and staff members in higher education.
- Inside Higher Ed is the online source for news, opinion and jobs for all of higher education. Also, it provides breaking news and feature stories, provocative daily commentary, areas for comment on every article, practical career columns, and a powerful suite of tools to help higher education professionals get jobs and colleges identify and hire employees.
- Masters In Counseling.org provides data and resources about counseling as a profession including employment opportunities in counseling. They are an informational tool for students who may want to enroll in an online degree program to obtain a Master of Counseling degree. Also, they have a large directory of accredited online schools that offer Master of Counseling programs.
- PhDs.org is designed to help students to prepare for the changing demands of today's job market and to provide a voice for early career scientists.
- PostdocJobs.com (or Postdoc.com) is the first and only online recruiting / career service dedicated to postdoc community. PostdocJobs.com is a niche recruiting channel and marketplace to bring together recent Ph.D.s, and professors and research institutions to find a good match.
- Recruiters Connection is composed of a comprehensive national directory of recruiting firms with the tools to help support Rowan alumni in their next job search and future career goals. This user friendly directory has over 14,000 recruiters, headhunters, staffing agencies, executive search firms, employment agencies and national recruiters all listed by state and industry.
- The Riley Guide is an online directory of employment and career information sources and services. It is primarily intended to provide instruction for job seekers on how to use the Internet to their best advantage, but recruiters and other career service industry professional will find information here to help them also.
- Sellout is a resource for Ph.D.s considering careers beyond the university.
- UniversityJobs.com provides an easy and effective way for college students, graduates, alumni, and other job seekers to find the right career whether in academic or other sectors. Job seekers are able to utilize the free service to post their resumes.
- The Versatile PhD is designed to help humanities and social science Ph.D.s develop and demonstrate their versatility as professionals.
Gradshare.com is a graduate student online community that provides expert advice and helpful information.
Gradresources.org provides survival tips, crisis and online mentors for graduate students.
Association for the Support of Graduate Students
National Association of Graduate and Professional Students
American Psychological Association Graduate Student Organization
National Postdoctoral Association
International Careers Consortium
National Black Graduate Student Association
Graduate Women in Science
Source: Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
Bachelor of Arts
Foreign Languages & Literatures (Spanish)
Geography & Environmental Studies
Law & Justice Studies
Philosophy & Religion Studies
Political Science & Economics
Sociology & Anthropology
Bachelor of Arts
Bachelor of Science
Ever wonder if your major is a good match for your interests and skills? Would you like to explore career opportunities related to your major? The Career Management Center (CMC) can help! Assessments available to students and alumni include FOCUS-2, Strong Interest Inventory and Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. Contact the Career Management Center (CMC) for details. You can learn more about yourself, your major, and job possibilities. Call now!
FOCUS-2 is an online, interactive career & education planning system that combines self assessment, career exploration and decision making into one comprehensive program. FOCUS-2 can help students map out a career path and select the right major area of study offered at their school to support their career goals.
The Self Registration Access Code is: profs
The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator is a personality inventory which allows the user to obtain a better understanding of her/his self. Upon completion of the MBTI the student will identify individual strengths, unique traits, and areas of needed growth. This provides the user with valuable tools for selecting a college major and potential career. The MBTI is offered by appointment or in small group workshops. Please contact the Career Management Center (CMC) for details.
The Strong Interest Inventory is a career assessment tool which provides the user with detail career information. Through answering a variety of questions a detailed report is generated. This report ranks 244 occupational scales according to the student’s interests. Completing the inventory and conducting thorough personal research will provide the tools necessary to make sound career choices. The Strong Interest Inventory is offered by appointment or in small group workshops. Please contact the Career Management Center (CMC) for details.
Contact the Career Management Center to obtain a password to access FOCUS-2
Artslynx Artslynx is a career exploration resource for individuals in the arts including Theatre, Dance, Visual Arts, Music, Arts Administration and Film.
The Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) is the principal fact-finding agency for the Federal Government in the broad field of labor economics and statistics. The BLS is an independent national statistical agency that collects, processes, analyzes, and disseminates essential statistical data to the American public, the U.S. Congress, other Federal agencies, State and local governments, business, and labor. The BLS also serves as a statistical resource to the Department of Labor.
The College Board This site has tips, advice & information about many different majors/careers to assist you when you are planning your own academic/career development. Click on a major/career category and then it will help you explore specific jobs.
Candid Career provides information on preparing for a job interview or steps for how to change careers. Also, it provides of thousands of informational video interviews with real professionals who can help you discover and explore your many career options.
Career Descriptions is a web resource that provides information on careers, colleges and relocation. The site provides a breakdown of each career by industry and it highlights the industries that employ the most workers and pay the best for each job.
CareerOneStop is a U.S. Department of Labor-sponsored Web site that offers career resources and workforce information to job seekers, students, businesses, and workforce professionals to foster talent development in a global economy.
Career Overview Career Overview provides career professionals, job seekers and students with relevant, reliable and up-to-date career and job information.
CareerShift is an online set of integrated applications proven to help job seekers successfully find employment.
College Majors and Career Information College Majors and Career Information provides information on various majors and lists related occupations.
Department of Defense Education Activity DoDEA coordinate, and manage the education programs for eligible dependents of U.S. military personnel and civilian personnel of the DoD. The program affords teachers the opportunity to teach the children of America's military families worldwide. The agency offers employment opportunities for teachers, student teachers and interns from an accredited U.S. institution.
Dictionary of Occupational Titles The Dictionary of Occupational Titles provides thousands of occupational definitions to match job seekers to jobs. This resource guide is published by the U.S. Department of Labor.
Education Degree Zone - Education Degree Zone provides information on the requirements to becoming a teacher and finding the right education degree program. This resource offers helpful articles covering all of these topics.
Education Programs Now - Education Programs Now outlines the necessary steps to becoming a teacher and various certification programs.
ExploreHealthCareers ExploreHealthCareers.org is a free, multi-disciplinary, interactive health careers website designed to explain the array of health professions and provide easy access to students seeking information about health careers.
4CareerMentoring 4CareerMentoring.com (4CM) is the online career mentoring network that helps students learn about their future jobs from the people who work them every day. 4CM profiles experienced professionals in hundreds of different career fields and partners with career guidance programs in high schools and colleges to bring their experience and insight to students across the country. Students can browse or search through mentor profiles, access frequently asked questions (and answers) for every mentor, and even ask their own questions through 4CM. Mentors describe their work, answer questions and offer insights into their careers through their profiles.
Federal Government Jobs By College Major - Provides a list of federal government jobs by college major.
GreenCareersGuide GreenCareersGuide.com is a resource for helping people find green jobs. With people always searching for the career of their dreams GreenCareersGuide.com has made this process simplified.
HealthcareCareersNow is a free resource provided by the Graduate Educational Information Service (GEIS). GEIS develops and maintains educational websites designed to enhance student outcomes and promote academic excellence.
Hollywood Actors Network Provides an in depth look at the performing arts scene along with pertinent resources.
Jobipedia.org is a free website where students and recent graduates can submit questions about job searching and get answers directly from experienced recruiting professionals at large employers.
Med Career Info Med Career Info provides vital information on different health careers that are offered by many North American institutions.
My Next Move is an interactive tool for job seekers and students to learn more about their career options. My Next Move has tasks, skills, salary information, and more for over 900 different careers.
National Association of Colleges and Employers Salary Survey Provides current information on the average starting salary along with the employment outlook compiled from the NACE employer survey.
New Jersey Department of Education The New Jersey Department of Education web page.
Occupational Outlook Handbook describes thousands of occupations. The information provided includes a description of the work, education required, and job prospects for the future.
O'NET Online - The O*NET database includes information on skills, abilities, knowledge, work activities, and interests associated with occupations. Information in the O*NET is available for over 950 occupations. Type in the occupation you want to explore and this site will give you a description, list of skills to develop and related occupations.
PayScale - PayScale presents an immediate and precise snapshot of the job market and it is the world's largest database of individual employee compensation profiles. Also, it provides individuals with essential facts and negotiation know-how they need in order to make smart, informed career decisions.
Salary.com Salary.com provides insight into salary predictions for various jobs.
Salary Scale For All Majors - Provides information on the starting salaries of entry-level positions and current positions for all majors.
Rowan University Graduate Catalog Graduate students can choose from seven teacher certification programs, 38 master’s degrees and specializations, 19 graduate certification programs and a doctoral program in educational leadership.
Resources for Graduate School Provides resources on preparing for graduate and professional school, including test information and tips for writing an essay
Peterson's Guide to Graduate Schools Peterson is one of the top education content providers in the United States.
Gradschools.com is an on-line directory of graduate school programs.
Masters In Counseling.org provides data and resources about counseling as a profession including employment opportunities in counseling. They are an informational tool for students who may want to enroll in an online degree program to obtain a Master of Counseling degree. Also, they have a large directory of accredited online schools that offer Master of Counseling programs.
Princeton Review The Princeton Review helps students, parents, and educators achieve the best results at every stage of their educational careers. By focusing on preparation and practice, they help students improve their performance in the classroom and on standardized tests. The website helps parents, teachers, students and schools navigate the complexities of school admissions.
Kaplan's Test Preparation for Graduate School Admission, a division of Kaplan, Inc., is a premier provider of information about GRE and other standardized tests.
Exam2Jobs.com Exam2Jobs.com is one of the top certification exam and job sites on the internet.