Counseling & Psychological Services
For Faculty & Staff
Savitz Hall — Top Floor
201 Mullica Hill Rd.
Glassboro, NJ 08028
8:30am — 4:30pm
Monday — Friday
4:30pm to 7:00pm Wednesday - by appointment only
Mondays and Wednesdays
Walk-In Appointments Available Daily 11am-4pm
After Hours Emergencies
Call Public Safety at
256-4911 and ask for Counselor on Call
We ask that you please contact the CPSC in advance to cancel appointments you are unable to attend, so that the appointment slot might be made available for another student.
How to Refer a Student for Counseling
Click here for a printable guide for referring a student.
We encourage the Rowan community to make referrals to the Center. If you have concerns about a particular student and want assistance in making a referral, call the Center at 256-4222 during regular working hours and ask to speak to a counselor. If the situation is an emergency, tell the secretary and every attempt will be made to provide you with assistance immediately.
When to Refer
- You notice changes in academic performance or behavior (i.e., student has started missing classes, handing in lower quality work or fails to leave residence hall room).
- You notice unusual behaviors or appearance (i.e., student seems anxious or worried, hygiene is lacking or student appears intoxicated).
- The student is making references to suicide, homicide or death.
- You overhear troubling comments made to peers.
- You become aware of troubling content on a student’s Facebook or MySpace pages.
- A student’s papers or journals reflect problems or unhealthy behaviors.
- Please feel free to call to speak to a CPSC staff member about your concerns and ways to refer the student.
How to Refer
- Find out enough about the student's problem to be able to make the best referral. Talk about your concerns in behavioral terms.
- Involve the student in the process. Discuss feelings about the referral (i.e. objections or fears). This allows the student to voice concerns before the appointment. Let the student know that seeking help is a sign of strength.
- Tell students what you know about the CPSC and remind them that counseling is free and confidential.
- Go slowly--except in an emergency. The student needs to understand that it is always his/her choice to accept or refuse the referral.
- If the student is highly motivated to seek counseling, let him/her make the appointment with the Center.
- If the student seems a bit reluctant to take the initiative, call the Center while the student is with you.
- If the student is in immediate crisis, walk the student to the Center or call to ask for a counselor to come to you. Please call before bringing a student to the Center to ensure a counselor is available.
back to top >>