About Leadership Rowan
Rowan University recognizes the value of preparing students for leadership roles. Through education, enrichment and empowerment, Leadership Rowan enables students to transform themselves, their communities, and the world.
Undergraduate Leadership Development Model
The Undergraduate Leadership Development Model at Rowan University recognizes the importance and value of preparing our students for leadership roles within the University, within their communities and within the larger context of the global world where they live, study and work. We believe that our role employs the following three concepts:
- Education: Students may enhance their leadership knowledge and skills through formal courses of instruction or learning through co-curricular leadership programs, institutes, conferences, retreats and service learning opportunities throughout campus.
- Empowerment through Personal Development: Students who engage in leadership development through curricular and co-curricular programs gain important and useful skills that assist them in becoming effective leaders in their lives. The personal development, confidence and growth in self-esteem that accompany the learning of new leadership skills are key elements for both personal and professional success in life.
- Enriching the Rowan Community through Leadership: The contributions that Rowan University student leaders make to their peers, their University, and their communities is important to the continued growth and richness of the University, and the communities that benefit from their leadership. Students who serve the communities in which they live through leadership initiatives not only benefit personally, but also transform themselves and their communities.
Leadership Rowan considers five key categories of effective leadership:
- Leadership Theory/Style/Approaches: Recognizing that there are numerous leadership theories upon which to draw, students may explore a variety of Leadership approaches to determine which of these resonate with their own values and beliefs.
- Self-Management: The first key to successfully leading others is the ability to know and lead oneself. Through the Undergraduate Leadership Development Model, students will explore ways to understand and enhance their abilities for self-management and ethical decision-making.
- Characteristics of Effective Leadership: Students will examine and enhance their ability to use effective leadership tools with others, including such skills as Team building, Effective Communication, Motivating Others, Respect and Integrity, Listening, and the ideas of Challenge and Support.
- Organizational Management and Development: Leading others requires understanding the concepts of organizational development, visioning, group dynamics, goal-setting, processes and procedures, role modeling, delegation of responsibilities and accountability. Students will have the opportunity to explore how these concepts are used to create successful group experiences.
- Leadership Experiences: Through self-selected leadership opportunities, students will actively explore the use of leadership styles, self and group management, and leadership skills to educate, empower and enrich their lives and those of the University community.
- Prepare students for leadership positions by expanding their knowledge of leadership paradigms and enhancing their skills in self-management and ethical decision-making.
- Provide students with the opportunity to develop the individual talents and organizational tools necessary to foster and sustain healthy organizations.
- Assist students in the exploration and use of leadership styles, self and group management, and leadership skills as they practice the art of leadership within campus-based and community-based organizations.
- Provide opportunities for undergraduate students to obtain official recognition of their leadership development in three program phases: 1) Leadership Training; 2) Leadership Applications and Organizational Effectiveness; and 3) Leadership Sustainability.
Student Learning Outcomes
As a result of their participation in Leadership Rowan, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of various leadership paradigms and styles, and identify those that resonate most closely with their own values and identity.
- Understand and enhance their abilities for self-management and ethical decision-making.
- Examine and enhance their ability to use effective leadership tools with others, including such skills as Teambuilding and Group Facilitation, Effective Communication, Motivating Others, Respect, Integrity, Inclusion, Listening, and Conflict Management.
- Understand and use Organizational Management skills such as Group Dynamics, Group Facilitation, Goal Setting and Assessment, Policies, Processes and Procedures, Event Planning, Marketing and Advertising, Budgeting and Fundraising, Delegation, Accountability and Visioning.
- Display the ability to integrate and apply leadership knowledge, styles, skills and tools within self-selected University and Community settings and organizations.
Don't miss any important tasks or deadlines needed for your transition to Rowan!
Discover amazing events and groups around campus from your favorite mobile device. Corq is the Android and iOS app for campus events at Rowan University. Use Corq to find your niche and get involved on campus through organizations and groups dedicated to your interests.