Student Life at Rowan University
Student Life provides and supports a collaborative learning environment that promotes the education of the whole person within a global society. Student Life is dedicated to actively engaging students by encouraging healthy life choices, multicultural competency, personal and professional growth, campus and community involvement, civic responsibility and leadership development. As an integral partner in the educational process, Student Life is committed to student learning and continual improvement through ongoing assessment and review of its programs and services.
We value cultural, individual, and role differences by creating a supportive and affirming climate for individuals of all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, gender identities, sexual orientations, religions, ages, abilities, sizes, socioeconomic statuses, and languages. We value the dignity of each individual as well as the ethical and equitable treatment of all members of the community in an atmosphere of mutual trust. We are guided by the principle that celebrating diversity enriches the lives of all people.
As individual members of this community, we strive to live within the principles of honor, truth in character, and ethical decision-making.
We value innovative leadership that is not positional, but rather an ongoing transformational process. Effective leaders intrinsically encourage themselves and inspire others by exemplifying professionalism, competence, accountability, and team and community engagement.
We encourage an engaged student body that is civically and personally responsible for the welfare of others, by providing opportunities for service learning, volunteerism, and holistic community service on campus and in the broader community.
We value collaboration and strive to develop effective working relationships with the entire Rowan community.
Statement of Student Learning Outcomes
"Learning is a complex, holistic, multi-centric activity that occurs throughout and across the college experience. Student development and the adaptation of learning to students' lives and needs are fundamental parts of engaged learning and liberal education."* The assessment of student learning involves thoughtful creation of desired outcomes, application of theoretically based learning programs, interventions and activities, followed by appraisal of desired outcomes.
These Student Life student learning outcomes provide the basis from which departments and programs determine their scope and focus of work with Rowan University students.
As a result of participation in programs and services sponsored by Student Life, Rowan University students will be able to:
- Communicate and act in accordance with a clarified value system based upon integrity and ethical resolve;
- Acknowledge the value of participating in social and educational interaction with others who are different;
- Articulate the role of civic engagement, service learning and volunteerism in building inclusive global societies;
- Describe the role of self-awareness and physical and emotional well-being in becoming responsible and contributing members of society;
- Apply reasoning skills based upon critical, creative and reflective thinking;
- Apply decision-making skills that have a positive impact on career and educational opportunities, relationships, health and reputation;
- Demonstrate competency related to workplace skills, communication, financial literacy and related professional and practical abilities;
- Recognize the foundation and role that collaborative leadership and service play as a part of individual success and worth;
- Describe how the content of their learning connects to their persistence, success, university engagement, and future life experiences.
*Learning Reconsidered (2004)