Orientation & Student Leadership Programs
Welcome to Rowan University! We are glad you have chosen Rowan University and look forward to seeing you at an upcoming orientation program.
Orientation will introduce you to the culture, traditions, and expectations of Rowan University and assist you in selecting your first term class schedule. Attendance and participation at a new student orientation program is required for all new first year and transfer students. Orientation provides you with the information and access to resources you need to have a successful college experience.
Parents are also invited to attend orientation to learn more about how you can support your Rowan student. Parents who have attended orientation find it to be an informative and rewarding experience. Students and parents will follow different schedules during orientation sessions.
Students must reserve a spot to attend orientation in advance. We utilize an online reservation system that displays specific dates available according to major. Not every date may be offered for all majors, and sessions will close when maximum capacities are reached. Please use the orientation reservation system to view dates currently available for your major(s).
New Student Orientation (for all spring term admits):
- Wednesday, January 6, 2016 CLOSED - no longer available for reservation
Transfer Student Orientation (for fall term admits):
- Session I: Thursday, June 16, 2016 CLOSED - no longer available for reservation
- Session II: Tuesday & Wednesday, June 21 & 22 (overnight optional), 2016
- Session III: Thursday, July 28, 2016
Freshman Orientation (for fall term admits):
- Session I: Thursday, June 23 & Friday, June 24
- Session II: Monday, June 27 & Tuesday, June 28 - Honors and PCI students only
- Session III: Thursday, June 30 & Friday, July 1
- Session IV: Wednesday, July 6 - Friday, July 8 - Rowan Select students only CLOSED - no longer available for reservation
- Session V: Monday, July 11 & Tuesday, July 12
- Session VI: Thursday, July 14 & Friday, July 15 CLOSED - no longer available for reservation
- Session VII: Monday, July 18 & Tuesday, July 19 - Rowan Choice students only
- Session VIII: Thursday, July 21 & Friday, July 22
- Session IX: Monday, July 25 & Tuesday, July 26
Final Fall Orientation (for international students, freshmen, and transfers):
- Monday, August 29, 2016
- Online Orientation
We expect students to make their own reservations for orientation (and to make the parent & family reservations as well). Students are responsible for creating their Rowan University computing account and keeping this information safe and secure. Students should not share this information with anyone in order to protect the confidentiality of student records. See the complete Acceptable Use Policy for more information.
We expect students to attend all orientation activities. All sessions during orientation are required and programming is specifically designed to assist students with their academic and social transition to the University.
It is our goal for students to build a relationship with their advisors as well as learn the necessary skills to register on their own in future terms. Therefore, we expect students to register for classes with the assistance of the professional academic advisors only, and not their parents or family members.
We expect students to follow all University policies, as well as all applicable laws and ordinances, including rules prohibiting alcohol and drug use. Failure to comply with these rules can result in dismissal from orientation without being permitted to register for classes, termination of fall residence hall contract, further disciplinary action by the University, and/or legal consequences such as arrests, tickets and fines, and future appearances in local courts.
For each orientation session we offer a concurrent Parent & Family Orientation program. Students and their parents & adult family members follow separate orientation schedules.
Here's what you will experience at Parent & Family Orientation:
- an overview of the University;
- presentations about your student's adjustment to college life at Rowan;
- information about financing college, safety, and STEP UP to healthy choices;
- meeting with current students & orientation leaders (PROS);
- and information about commuting or living on campus.
The Rowan student must make Parent & Family Orietnation reservations as part of their orientation reservation process. Please discuss with your student whether or not you would like to attend Parent & Family Orientation. The Rowan student will be asked to enter the number of guests attending orientation in the online system as well as a contact phone number and e-mail address for any parents or adult family members participating. We do not recommend that young children attend the program, as no child-care services are available.
If you are unable to attend the same orientation session as your student, you are welcome to attend another date. Please contact our office at 856-256-4041 to make arrangements to attend orientation during a different session than your student.
The undergraduate orientation fee includes up to two parents or adult family members' participation in orientation. Additional guests may be added (at a rate of $25 per person for meals and materials) by contacting our office at 856-256-4041 at least one week prior to the orientation program you would like to attend.
Some majors provide academic advising prior to orientation as staff time permits. See if you can get a head start by registering for your spring term courses today!
Attend a New Transfer Information Session prior to orientation or a Transfer Topics workshop during the spring term to learn more about your new home, Rowan University.